- - - - -

Question of the Week -- April 23, 2017

Good morning!
Welcome to the start of a new week!

We've had a few absolutely gorgeous, sunny days; this morning it's gray and overcast, but we know that spring is on its way. I had the opportunity to visit two quilt shops last week. While I was browsing, there were a few bright, cheerful fabrics that caught my eye in both shops. They were fabrics by Moda's designers Me and My Sister from their "Hi De Ho" and "Grow" collections. I also liked checking out all things batik.

So my questions for you this week are:

Are there certain styles of fabrics that seem to always capture your attention? Who are some of your favorite fabric designers?

I hope you can take a moment to share your answers with us. Take care and have a wonderful week!

15 Comments

I tend to buy "showstoppers" and never have enough "supporting cast" in my stash, but I think that's generally what's in greatest stock in the shops, so it's bound to happen that way.  So I'm always short on lights and backgrounds when making a quilt.   

I tend towards clear colors, not greyed, but I also hoard thirties fabrics and thirties reproductions,  :He He:  and civil war reproductions.

We had a few gorgeous days here -- almost 70 degrees on Friday -- but today is showers preparing for the deluge that is to come this evening and last for days.  My friend Ellen and I are off in the morning for the Oregon Quilters Safari, which consists of visits to quilt shops up and down the Willamette Valley.  I'm a very traditional quilter and am instantly drawn to Moda Fabrics.  I especially like 3 Sisters, French General, and Fig Tree.  I do occasionally check out the Kaffe Fasset beautifully colored fabrics, but I don't know if I'd ever be able to cut them up, so I don't buy.  I also like batiks.

I have a very small fabric collection (two small bins only).  My guild was over recently, one of the ladies wanted to see my fabric storage--I think she was quite disappointed LOL.

So I tend to buy for specific projects--and the project in my brain will thus dictate what types of fabrics I'm looking at.  I do love batiks, and solids, and some of the more modern fabrics (but not all--many of the boggle my mind).  I like blues, earth tones and not so much pastels. 

I am a batik lover all the way. This has only been magnified by the fabric collage class I took. Also the fact that I love Love LOVE tone on tone. I shy away from true solids after a RWB quilt that included a solid black Kona. That fabric picked up e.v.e.r.y. fuzzy known to man! UGH...

I also gravitate to bright colors and clever novelty fabrics. I am non-discriminating when it comes to companies, but gravitate toward Bali, Hoffman, RJR, Michael Miller to name a few. I MAY have just placed an order with Thousands of Bolts. (its just a rumor!)

I agree with JoAnn about Me and My Sister. I believe they are from here in the Phx area. Their colors are happy and bright. Right up my alley!

Batik's like Beth. Love 'em!  I also like wild and crazy fabrics that have lots of colors in them - not floral - just wild and crazy.  Like the one below. Bright batik with lots of colors and made this quilt top from it.

Attached File  brightblock.jpg   240.14KB   0 downloads

Photo
Vicki in MN
Apr 23 2017 02:34 PM

OMG, I think I like almost every fabric. But yes, Me and My sister always catches my attention as do batiks.  I will say there is one I have never cared for and that is Kaffe-just too wild for me.  I always used to be traditional only but now it goes back and forth from traditional to modern.

I am all over the place. Shortly after I started quilting Hoffman fabrics were THE thing. Lots of complicated prints; many with gold or silver metallic accents...then lots of Thimbleberries darker larger prints...several years later (when I hit peri menopause) it seemed like I could not find fabric that was BRIGHT enough! 

I didn't have much of a batik phase. I always had a hard time combining it with regular prints. I LOVE Kaffe and Phillip Jacobs, but again had a hard time working it with the rest of my stash.

Lately I have been attracted to a lot of the Zen Chic line, Grunge, Cotton and Steel, American Jane. 

Tomorrow, it will be something else. A lot depends on what I see my clients use in their quilts. I don't get to the shops very often and right now I am collecting wool so that's my current focus.

I have a ridiculous fabric stash and love all types. I'm especially drawn to bright colors and love batiks and Kaffe fabrics. I'm attracted to a lot of the newer modern fabrics and really like unexpected stuff like the Tula Pink fabrics that have animals hidden in the prints.

I love all fabric. I have a good bit of fabric in my stash (more than I will ever use) but will buy specific fabrics if I have a project in mind. My latest purchase was a fat quarter bundle of Cotton and Steel "Cat Lady" that I plan to use for quilts for two granddaughters that share a bedroom. It was hard to find, seems it was very popular. I am like so many quilters, too many quilts to make and not enough time. 

I tend to lean towards bright colors, especially the batiks.  I like to pair them up with either black, white or cream, depending on my mood.

I like them all!  I love the French General for traditional quilts.  Batiks and brights are favorites, Civil war fabrics, just about all of them!   I'm not wild about some of the "modern" fabrics because of the motifs they use on them, but if I cut them up into small enough pieces I can live with them ;-)  I tend to buy color more than a specific print.

Photo
Proud Military Mom
Apr 27 2017 07:56 AM
I like them all. I have a fabric stash and I certainly don't need any more fabric; however, there is this quilt shop in Boca Raton called StitchCraft and I go there to meet customers. I also get lots of referrals from them. So almost every time I go there I end up buying fabric. I usually buy colors/prints that I am attractet to that day and/or colors I need for a project. Sometimes I buy fat quarters from the same fabric line so I know I can use them together in a project. The last time I was there I bought fat quarters from the dream line by Carrie Bloomston.

I think I love them all too, but have been exercising great restraint the last two years, knowing full well that there is enough fabric on my shelves to keep me sewing over the next decade. On top of that I am a scrapaholic, so I enjoy cutting the leftovers into strips and squares and using them too. Batiks for sure, civil war repros (Windham Hill comes to mind), tone on tone, 30's - it's all like a big box of colorful crayons to me that I can't resist playing with! The one thing I don't tend to buy is large prints and I have very little flannel. I also confess to buying way too many panels to play with.

Barb K. in Buffalo

Photo
Lemon Tree Tami
Apr 27 2017 10:43 PM

I love brights so I'll shop batiks, Kaffe Fassett, Allison Glass' more modern batiks, some Tula Pink but that's harder to use because of the huge motifs, LOVE Moda Grunge (they just got in a polka dot version that I'll have to find). I don't usually make solid only quilts but am starting to get more Kona and Michael Miller solids in my stash.

What I need to do is to buy more red fabric because I'm super short on that in my stash. And I don't need to buy turquoise ever again. LOL

Like many of you, I love all fabric! I work one day each week at the quilt shop near me so my stash is more like hoarding;) I love Stonehenge, paisley, Alexander Henry, Henry Glass......