- - - - -

Question of the Week -- April 30, 2017

Good morning!
Welcome to not only the start of a new week but to a new month, too! Yesterday was National Zipper Day which had me thinking about this week's questions for you...

When was the last time you sewed a zipper into one of your projects? Was it for a garment, a tote bag, a handbag, pouch or ???

Please take a moment to share your answers with us in the forum.

26 Comments

Photo
brunerwoman
Apr 30 2017 09:54 AM

just the other day.  i am making zipper blocks with selvages. the zipper is the middle piece...when you open it...there is lace inside....or rick rack.  surprise!

I recently made the Necessary Clutch Wallet by Emmaline Bags and it has a zippered coin section. Took about 6 hours to make the wallet and I love it!

Attached Files

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Apr 30 2017 10:56 AM

About three weeks ago, altering a prom dress.

Photo
Helen Baczynski
Apr 30 2017 11:08 AM

About a month ago I put zippers in two quilted cushion covers.

Photo
Donna in NH
Apr 30 2017 11:36 AM

I made this pouch last summer. Adding the zipper was easy, I really need to make more of these.

Attached File  Zippered Pouch.jpg   154.82KB   0 downloads

Kathy - love the fabric you used for your NCW - it looks great! Do you remember what line of fabric that is?

It's been a few years, but the last zippers I put in were for some seat cushions for a friend's RV.  I did them in exchange for him repairing some storm damage to my house.  It was a great bargain!

I put a zipper in a granddaughter's dress I made about 2 weeks ago.

I can't remember exactly when, but I have been sewing most of my clothes because I can't find anything that I like; quality; fit.  I took apart a pair of jeans that fit me perfectly, and now make my own pants.  All of them require zippers.  I made my granddaughter's prom dress and that had a zipper in it.  I do occasionally add zippers to purses.  I have the same pattern for a wallet that Kathy Schwartz used and haven't gotten around to making it yet.  Hers turned out so well, I will have to fit it into my schedule.  I love sewing purses and bags.

Kathy - love the fabric you used for your NCW - it looks great! Do you remember what line of fabric that is?

Yes it was Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements 'Subway' for the wallet flap and Essex Linen for the outer body of the wallet.   Not sure what fabric line I used in the inside of the wallet.

WOW!  I really don't know but I can tell you it had to be something one of my daughter's talked me into, because I don't "sew" anymore I quilt!!!!

That would be never.

Oh. Wait.

Junior High home ec class. Somewhere between 1973/74 Pants. Not very successfully. 

:Black Eye:

Photo
Michelle Wyman
Apr 30 2017 07:10 PM

Last month, I top stitched two 6" zippers onto a square of fabric as part of a "Fidget Quilt" for our community service project at guild.

A fidget quilt is a small tactile quilt made from 16 squares.  Each square has something on it that does something or has some texture.  It is used for dementia and Alzheimer's patients to fidget with...many of them need to keep their hands busy, but cannot write or draw or do other things.  So zippers, velcro, lace, minkee, corduroy, snaps, buttons, etc -- anything that can be sewn onto small squares and then made into a little quilt. 

Before that it was zipper pouches and totes.

Photo
Vicki in MN
Apr 30 2017 07:20 PM

I did 4 zippers in my Sew Together bag for the Henry Glass challenge in March.

I made a zippered bag a couple of weeks ago, and just started on a second one today but didn't get to the zipper yet. That'll have to wait for tomorrow night.

Photo
marrs_cynthia
Apr 30 2017 08:08 PM

I did 4 zippers in my Sew Together bag for the Henry Glass challenge in March.

I did that bag last week at my sewing machine shop, Paramount Vacuum and Sewing. It was quite challenging. I'm glad I took the class. Now I might be able to make another one or two. 4 zippers: 3 short, one long.

I made myself a housecoat about 10 or 12 years ago. That's the last zipper. I do have a bag pattern to make, amd bought the zipper to go with, just haven't gotten there yet
Photo
CarolKimble
May 01 2017 10:02 AM

I hated putting zippers when I used to sew my own clothes.  Last summer I made a commitment to make a bag for Walker with a zipper so he could carry his iPad on the plane as he went back and forth to his treatments in Denver.  So here are a couple pics.   He chose the fabric and the way he wanted his name with the cars on the strap.  So the good "grandma" just followed his orders. 

I haven't put in a zipper since.  He loved it.  He still uses it for lots of things and his April scan was still clear.  

Attached Files

• Attached File  1 (1).jpg   257.72KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   243.07KB   0 downloads
Photo
aulranchquilts
May 01 2017 10:05 AM
I'm making NCW wallets, too. This past week I made two backpacks for taking to Disney. I used the 'zipper tab' technique from the NCW to make the job easier. I'll see if I can post pics later.

Three weeks ago. I put a back zipper in one of the granddaughter's spring dress.

Last year I made a Bionic Gear Bag. (That gives you lots of zipper practice). Last month a pillow with a zip and am about to start a portable seat cushion that I can take to guild and retreats.

I have also  made lots of those little bags to store cords, chargers, makeup etc. 

Attached Files

Photo
Lemon Tree Tami
May 01 2017 11:56 PM

The last time that I put in zippers was probably for a pouch but that was maybe four years ago? The highlight of my zipper installation has to go to the leather motorcycle jacket that I made in college. It had five zippers! One long one for the closure, two short sleeve zips and two zipped pockets. And they were pricey too, Riri brand from Switzerland. Not sure why we had access to those then. Maybe one of the teachers used them in her manufacturing?

Both the Necessary Clutch and the Sew-Together Bag are on my one day to-do-list.  :Drooling:

Last fall.  Tent, sleeping bag, and parka - for a doll size camping outfit.  Each year I donate a doll ensemble of some kind to the local library benefit craft sale.  And I found the RED small separating zipper I KNEW I had after I was all done.  Oh well.

Yvonne

Attached Files

This is fun to see all the different projects created!  Great question, Jo Ann!

The last zippers I put in were for my tennis bag made from the "Professional Tote" pattern.

Attached File  DSC_3925 sm.JPG   149.67KB   0 downloads

First time I did a recessed zipper down inside the bag:

Attached File  DSC_3931.JPG   170.89KB   0 downloads

Used some heavy duty plastic zippers on the outside:

Attached File  DSC_3933 sm.JPG   294.77KB   0 downloads

Somebody in my tennis group admired my bag & said I should make them to sell.  I told her nobody could afford it...this thing took F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

Photo
Proud Military Mom
May 03 2017 01:33 PM
I stitched my last zipper sometime in 2015. A friend and I spent time together making some bags and purses and I got to stitch some zippers.