- - - - -

Question of the Week -- June 11, 2017

Good morning!
Welcome to the start of a new week!

I was speaking with a customer this week when she came by to pick up an extended throat plate for her longram. We chatted a bit about the profusion of acrylic rulers/templates available to us today to use on longarm quilting machines AND on domestic sewing machines. So my questions for you this week are...

Do you use acrylic templates in your quilting work? If so, which ones are your favorites? Which ones are on your "Wish List" that you hope to purchase in the future?

I hope you can spare a moment to share your answers with us in the forum. Take care and have a great week!

15 Comments

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Jun 11 2017 10:27 AM

I have a gaggle of rulers that I purchased and have never used.  Why is that?  I suspect it's derived from Class Taking, followed immediately by Impulse Purchasing of whatever ruler was demo'd in class.  Does anyone else suffer from this syndrome?

I think you are correct Riley. I have a huge box of rulers and no longer remember what many of them were used for. If anyone out there is looking to increase their ruler stash please contact me cause I would love to thin mine out.

I don't have a computerized machine so I use lots of rulers.  I like Jamie Wallen's rulers.  I use the A1 straight ruler all the time.  Use lots of circle rulers.  I think I have I have every size circle ruler there is.  I also like Lisa Calle's pro-spine rulers.  

I just have a few rulers that were bought for specific quilts I was working on and also for a Craftsy class ,that I have not finished viewing. :blush: The one I use the most would be my stitch in the ditch ruler. I also have a set of ovals that I use for curves. I have a set of circles I have never used. I do not do much ruler work. My dilemma would be time constraints. I usually have to get the job finished quickly and I am very slow with rulers. I love seeing beautiful ruler work but honestly I am content doing what is is that I do and I try to do it well. If I were younger I would take the time but I find I need to get quilts done so I can do the next one on my list. 

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Jun 11 2017 12:11 PM

I love using rulers ... I have a couple of Jamie Walens with the angled handle -- a straight one and a 60-degree triangle one, and I like them a lot.  Just bought Jodi Robinson's "round it" and "around the corner" and expect I will use them a lot.  I have a set of semi-circle rulers that I do not like ... I think they were from HQ. I would much rather have a bunch of solid circles of different sizes, but haven't been able to bring myself to pay for them.  I also like Deloa's rope-a-dope, however, it only does one thing in one size.  Works well when the quilt size matches.

I quilt on my DSM. I've done some ruler work but am not proficient yet. I've had good luck with Lisa Calle's ProLine rulers for matchstick quilting and HandiQuilter's 90 degree ruler for piano keys. I've done a little bit of curved cross-hatching with the Quilter's Pineapple rulers. Those are the rulers I've used the most. I would like to get one of Jamie Walen's rulers to see if the handle works well with the domestic machine.

The ones I use the most for the last few years: Itty Bitty for sid, a 3/8" thick ruler for straight line stitching and Sew Clear Mini Curve for cc. I showed this one to Quilters Rule because the Sew Clear isn't made anymore.The 4 in 1 would probably work the same.  Deloa Jones Boomerangs for curved cross hatching. Other than that - two drawers full of other ones like Riley.  

I like Jamie Wallen's straight and circle rulers.  Lisa Calle's Pro Spine is on my wish list. 

I have the Swag rulers from Constantine Quilts in both sizes, also some ovals, circles and arcs from them.  They are a great price, but have no markings on them.  I use a sharpie marker and mark them up for whatever project I need.  I also have DeLoa's boomerangs and the Rope-a-Dope.  The ruler that I have used the most is the VersaTool from Handi-Quilter.

A straight edge with 1/4" markings/lines is a must. I use the one by Jamie Wallen the most. I also love my Pro Echo curved rulers by Lisa Calle. I too have a ton of different rulers .

I have bought a few and most of them sit in the drawer.  I use "Janet Lee's Favorite by Gadget Girls for a lot of my straight work that requires a longer ruler.  I use a 6" for shorter areas where I can slide it along as I work.  Sorry I can't remember the name, but it's a clear acrylic with two round pieces that stick up so you can hold onto it.  I love this one.  I use a couple rounded rulers when I'm working in a circular or curved area.  My IQ can do all the specific shapes, but for going around applique, I use templates.

Photo
Helen Baczynski
Jun 12 2017 05:29 PM

I use a short 6" straight ruler for everything. It came with my I/S (stitch regulator) and I thought it was a ridiculous size, being so short, but it is the most useful guide and I wouldn't be without it. Very occasionally I use a curve, but for any ditch work I use the straight one. I looked in my drawer and realized I have the Deloa Jones Boomerang and a couple of other specialty rulers that I got in my teachers bag at MQS over the years. Each year there would be a ruler in it from one person or another. Since I now use iQ, I don't need those specialty rulers. The only rulers I've bought have been a set of circles and the Linda Taylor curved one for double wedding ring quilts. I rarely used the circles for circles, just for arcs. The Linda Taylor one enabled me to stitch larger arcs. I always used my circle maker for full circles. And who remembers the Gam guide? I used that a lot in the days before extended bases were invented. 

I used to use a variety of templates and rulers before I got my IQ.  Now it's usually Janet-Lee's Favorite from Gadget Girls, Little Girl (also from Gadget Girls), and just a small oval for going around curves.

Remember it I have the Gam guide! I used it for a long time, til I found there were a lot of better choices out there. I'm not computerized either so I love rulers and use them frequently. My favorites would be Jamie Wallen's little 3 inch straight and then the one just bigger I think it's about 6 or 8 inches, I use it all the time. But I also use my circles, I'm not very good at freehand. And I have a full sets of curved rulers, Janet Lee's favorite, and a little mini curve from Rhonda. Actually I have quite a few and I use most of them!
Photo
Vicki in MN
Jun 13 2017 07:10 PM

I love using rulers, but I do have my favorites I use a lot...Deloa's Castle is the one I use most(even though I have other straight edge ones).  I love the mini sew clear for cc'ing.  I use Renae's amazing arcs quite a bit.  I was a sucker for several of the nested ones from Quilters rule along with a few of their other ones.  I recently got a couple of Jodi Robinson's new ones. I did a trade with a local gal for a few swag rulers and a scallop one.  No I don't use a lot of them either.