- - - - -

Question of the Week -- May 14, 2017

Good morning!
Happy Mother's Day, and welcome to the start of a new week.

I am fortunate and very grateful to still have Mom here to share the day with us. We will gather for lunch later today and then watch a movie together. In years past, I used to take her to a local greenhouse to pick out some plants for her garden. She doesn't get around as well as she used to, so we'll skip that this year. I'll make sure to get out next week to get her a few hanging baskets to enjoy.

It's raining this morning, and I'm looking forward to spending some time in the studio later this evening. Thinking about cool, rainy days brings me to this week's questions for all of you...

What are some of your favorite ways to spend a rainy day? Curled up with a good book? Watching a movie? Spending time sewing, knitting, or quilting?

Please take a moment to share your answers with us in the forum. Take care and have a wonderful week!

11 Comments

Thank you for the Mother's Day wishes, Jo Ann.  So glad you are going to get to spend time with your mom.

On a rainy day I do love a good book and a cup of tea.  If the weather is chilly I'm inclined to bake something.  I do those things if it's raining when I get up (and I don't have other pressing chores), but if it rains when I'm in my basement studio I often don't know what's going on outside as I usually keep the blinds shut to avoid direct sunlight on the fabrics, so I happily quilt on!  DH will come home and comment on the rain and I don't have a clue.  Guess I get wrapped up in my work.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

On rainy days I get to go to my studio and quilt.  When it's sunny, there are numerous reasons to put off getting up those stairs.

Photo
Betty Hicks
May 14 2017 07:04 PM
Rainy days make me cranky! So I like to do fun stuff. Believe it or not I like to straighten "stuff" out. Quilt room, bedroom, closets, pantry. Can get a lot done on a rainy day. The next day I'm all set to spend a day creating or quilting without anything else to take my time or attention.
I'm not fond of rainy days. But I'm finding it's a great excuse to be inside doing whatever I want. Which is generally quilting either piecing or on my longarm !

We get so many of them here in Oregon, I guess that life just goes on as usual.  It rained today, and Ozzie and I still walked almost 5 miles out by the pond.  We got wet, but we didn't melt.  If it's raining really hard, or it's very cold and rainy, I'm up for a good book, a good movie, or a little stitching.  I don't think I'm ever bored!  :)

I agree with Linda...never bored here!  We, too, have lots of rainy days here in Ohio...and snowy ones, too!

I'm happiest when I'm downstairs in my sewing room.  I call it my "Play Room" & some days, I'm down there all day long, except to come up to the kitchen for lunch & supper.

I hide from the sun in the summer time because of being a blue eyed blonde, I BURN so easily.  Therefore, I'm only outside a lot during the spring & the fall.  That is when I get my yard work done, but we've had so much rain this month, it has been hard to complete my outdoor chores.  I just hired a company to come edge my flower beds, put down a "pre-emergent" for weed prevention & then top with 5 yds. of fresh mulch.  Maybe next year there won't be so much work to do!!  I'd MUCH RATHER be inside, piecing or quilting!!  

Photo
Helen Baczynski
May 15 2017 07:11 AM

It's interesting that rainy days make you cranky, Betty - it's windy days that do that to me. Can't do anything when it's windy and I get cross easily - discombobulated.

On rainy days I like to either watch the rain or do what I do most days and that's sew.

Rainy days depress me, especially the cold rainy ones.  So, I tend to just lay on the couch and watch the idiot box.

I ate lunch with my mother at the nursing home yesterday, then went to the greenhouse to get flowers and herbs for my pots.  Then I spent the afternoon planting.  We had a hard rain this morning - and some hail!  I think everything will be OK , they just look a little beaten up and bruised.  I have to go outside and do some chores (feed baby calves, check cows) rain or shine.  If there are storms and lightning I don't like to have the quilt machine or computer plugged in, so then I like to read or bake.  If it is just drizzle then I will sew and quilt.

I would love a bit more rain, we don't get much in my part of Arizona. I tend to stay home, mostly because no one in Phoenix knows how to DRIVE in the rain! Our roads are VERY slick with the water on oily streets unless we get a pretty good amt. I love to listen to it, smell it (sometimes we can smell it but it evaporates before it hits the ground! They even have a word for that- virga). We have mountains all around the city and you can see the weather coming. Its one of my favorite things about living in the desert.

Photo
Paradise Girl
May 17 2017 10:15 PM
Slow rainy days = sewing days, or curl up with quilting books to find the next ten quilts for my "got-to-do-one day" list (if only I could remember all of the delicious fabric combinations I concoct, for future use). My family need to be fed more than usual on such miserable days so I tear myself away long enough to cook and chat and eat.
If it is a thunderstorm day then I find myself super charged with energy and creativity and will usually be cutting into fabric and designing on my wall.