- - - - -

Question of the Week -- May 21, 2017

Good morning!
Welcome to the start of a new week.

The trees have leafed out so summer is definitely on its way here. I also purchased some annuals that I'm hardening off so that I can start planting them after Memorial Day.

After looking for two weeks, I found the current issue of Quilt Sampler magazine at the grocery store on Friday. I always enjoy reading about the shops they have featured. We are fortunate to have several shops in our local area, and each one of them has its own personality. So my questions for you this week are...

Which shop(s) have you visited that you consider to be your favorite(s)? What makes them unique? Their d├ęcor, fabric selection, staff, classes, or ???

Please take a moment to share your answers with us in the forum.

12 Comments

After lots and lots of rain and cold, it's going to be in the 90s for the next few days here.  I'm off to try and get some yard work done before I fry!

Many of my favorite shops locally have closed, but we have a quilters safari here each year that takes us up and down the Willamette Valley, so we get to visit lots of great shops.    I love Jannilou's Fabrics in Philomath, Oregon.  It's housed in an old movie theater.  They have a nice mixture of fabrics and patterns, and offer Judy Niemeyer classes.  

I also like Finally Together in Lebanon, Oregon.  For such a tiny little town, they have a spectacular quilt shop.  Flannels, batiks, regular quilting cottons (lots of Moda - my favorite), and a good selection of patterns.  They offer lots of classes, but I haven't taken one there.

To the south is The Country Lady in Roseburg, Oregon.  They have an enormous selection of batik fabrics.  Their back room has about three Gammill long arms in it.  I'm not sure if they rent them out or not, but it's pretty impressive.

*** How could I forget to add that perhaps my favorite shop in Oregon is Fabric Depot in Portland?  It's almost a two-hour drive from me, but they have nearly everything you could want.  The first time I walked into that store, I literally had to go sit down and put my head between my knees.  It is like the super-market of fabric.  Bridal (silks, satins, glittery trims) in one section, nearly half the store in quilting fabrics of every manufacture, woolens, rayons, etc., patterns, yarn, buttons, notions, and home dec.  Plus a sewing and vacuum center on the other side.  The only drag about the store is, there is almost always something on sale, which would be great except that it means it's always busy.  You cannot be in a hurry when you go there.

Sadly there are no quilt shops near me anymore. I visited a new quilt shop in the mountains last year, I had a gift certificate to use. It was set up nicely  with pretty decor and had an area at the front that featured the classes coming up and a sample of what would be taught. One item that I was interested in was a unique purse and I asked about the pattern but was told I would have to take the class in order to buy the pattern. I explained that I did not live there so I could not attend the class. There was no comment from the sales lady.  I am sure the selection of fabrics for sale were to the liking of the owners but not particularly my preference. It was all very modern and trendy. I will not shop there again, just nothing that interested me and the prices were very high. I enjoy visiting quilt shops but do very little shopping.

Photo
Helen Baczynski
May 21 2017 02:49 PM

I am trying to use what I have, so I don't like to go into quilt shops these days because I feel I have to buy something. I hate going into a small store and get the owners hopes up and then just walk out with nothing. The last quilt shop I visited was 2 hours away, I had to take my Pfaff in for repair, but ended up buying a new one. My old one was beyond repair, sadly.

The last quilt shop where I bought fabric was in Australia last September.

*** How could I forget to add that perhaps my favorite shop in Oregon is Fabric Depot in Portland? It's almost a two-hour drive from me, but they have nearly everything you could want. The first time I walked into that store, I literally had to go sit down and put my head between my knees. It is like the super-market of fabric. Bridal (silks, satins, glittery trims) in one section, nearly half the store in quilting fabrics of every manufacture, woolens, rayons, etc., patterns, yarn, buttons, notions, and home dec. Plus a sewing and vacuum center on the other side. The only drag about the store is, there is almost always something on sale, which would be great except that it means it's always busy. You cannot be in a hurry when you go there.

O yes, Linda you hit the nail on the head " it is like the super-market of fabric". You could literally get lost in there. I haven't been there in years as it is 5 hours from me and the wrong direction for anywhere we go. But it is impressive! But as you also stated the lines are long.

But here in Eastern Oregon in my small town of 1200 there is a wonderful little shop in a lady's house and shop. She has an impressive selection, on a way smaller scale. And her prices are good, plus she often has sales, because she doesn't really do it for the money. And if you happen to find something you like in the back shop its practically free! No kidding a buck or two a yard and it's good fabric. Other than that I don't really have a favorite, all the good shops close.
Photo
Kwilt n Deb
May 21 2017 03:37 PM

Here in San Diego we have quite a few quilting shops, my two favourites are Rosies Calico Cupboard, and Cozys Creative Center.  I like Rosies because they have a lot of high end fabric for a lot less than most quilt shops. I like going to Cozys because they are more design oriented, the owner is Daniella Stout, she comes out with a lot of strip patterns.  At Cozys they have a once a month program where if you buy the strips you get the pattern free.  She gets a lot of quilters, and they call it Strip Club,(I like to say I went stripping).

Just last week I visited a new quilt shop in a small town about half an hour away - "Helios". It's a small shop owned by two men with awesome taste in fabric. It's in an old school building that has been renovated and contains many other small shops/businesses.. I could have happily made a quilt with any fabric in that store. I'll definitely be going there again. The owners were very friendly and gave my friend and I a wonderful recommendation for lunch.

Linda, I love that quilt store in Portland. My daughter lives there so I leave room in my suitcase for some fabric every time we visit.

Peg
Calgary itself has only a few shops anymore. My favourite is Along Came Quilting. And the staff make all the difference. I also really like several area shops, Chinook Fabrics, Sugar Pine, Rumpled Quilt Skins (gotta love that one for the name alone)
Photo
Jo Ann Gruber
May 22 2017 10:58 AM

Rumpled Quilt Skins is one of the shops featured in the current "Quilt Sampler" magazine!

Photo
Mary in the Mountains
May 23 2017 07:20 AM
Here in the metropolitan Billings area , population 140,000, including its one "suburb" and the largest city in the state, we have SIX quilt shops plus a Joann's. Can you believe it? I think that's a lot. Each one has their specialty which is nice. One focuses on Niemeyer, one on modern, one on novelty fabrics, and the Bernina dealer has everything. Laura Heine's shop is here, but she is focusing more on her collage kits and traveling to shows, one shop doesn't have much fabric, but she focuses on classes and clubs, and I think she just orders what she thinks she will need for the classes. Unfortunately I'm not buying much of anything because I'm trying to use up what I have. Quilting is big business here. People come from all over the country to attend retreats in Red Lodge, at the base of the Beartooth Pass and the northern entrance of Yellowstone. That's only 40 minutes from Billings, and there is a really nice quilt shop there.

While I don't get there often, I find The Charleton Sewing Center a most unusual and wonderful quilt shop.  It's in an old church complete with the stained glass windows and the organ., New patrons are treated to an organ selection - the photo was mine on my first visit. It is stuffed! An entire room of thread of every kind. The basement is a huge machine repair shop.  Lots and lots going on all the time.  Wish I lived closer!  Shops are few and far between in CT.

Yvonne

Attached Files

Yvonne, That looks like an interesting shop. I would love to visit that one.

We are SEW lucky that in this area, there are lots of lovely quilt shops still in business.  I try to shop at all of them whenever I can!

This little JEllen's shop is a VERY small shop, located in a plaza north of me, but the owner has a fantastic talent for display & decoration.  I wanted to take a photo of her front window last time I was there, as it was so enticing!

0_0_0_0_397_298_csupload_67536705_large.

Love the crystal chandelier!!  She stocks happy brights & contemporary fabrics & has some terrific prices, too.

She had bolts of baby fabrics all standing up in a darling white baby crib, jars of colorful buttons & snippets of fabric in glass bowls.

Just very creative displays that made my eyes dance.

The shop nearest to me, Sew Deja Vu,  is just a wee bit bigger & the staff & owner are also extremely nice!  She has hosted our quilting guild twice & even made refreshments for us.  I like to spend money in there probably the most out of all of them.

There is a MUCH bigger shop that just moved into a MUCH bigger space which is a little farther from my house with a HUGE selection of fabrics & patterns & classes BUT the owner is not nice at all.  She has made curt, snide even hurtful remarks the 3 times I've been to her shop.  I swore I would never go in there again!  She is notorious for skimping on the fabrics in her kits.  One time I was short on the fabric in the kit that I bought & went back to buy more, but there wasn't any.  They refused to rectify the problem.  That crappy attitude & lack of customer service keeps my $$$ from ever being spent in their shop again. 

They have a system that gives you bonus points whenever you buy something & then once you reach a certain amount, you get money off your next purchase.  However, I once spent over $50 on rulers when she came to our guild to lecture & vend & later found out when you buy something outside the shop, you don't get those bonus points!  ???  I'm sure she pocketed the $50+ & never reported it to the IRS, since it didn't go through her cash register.  Grrrr!   Just bad feelings all around about that shop owner!

So I guess it is the people & the displays that attract me & keep me coming back to spend more!