- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- April 19, 2017

Good morning!
A glance at the calendar shows that it's Wednesday and time for our weekly WIP update.

Let's see...I finished our 2016 tax return and got it sent off; finished one quilt for a client, taught back-to-back classes at a local quilt shop on Saturday, and spent some time getting ready for a visitor who is arriving today.

Your turn!

25 Comments

I've had a very busy quilting week.  I finished the Dear Jane on Saturday morning, (just waiting for client to come and pick up now), and then moved on to some E2E instant gratification before the next custom.   One table runner, 2 lap quilts, one twin quilt and one double (light custom) all finished Saturday-Monday, along with Easter dinner and company, and grad shoe shopping with eldest daughter.   It is amazing what I can accomplish when I'm not driving the kids around, or cooking supper.  And yesterday was quilting day at the church, so I got to do some piecing on a church project and, more importantly, hanging out with friends.

Next custom arrives this morning.

Here is what I accomplished this week.  Unfortunately, nothing quilting related.  Master bathroom demolition took 3 days and yard work (tree trimming and lawn mowing) another 2 days.

Before and after demolition.

Attached Files

Photo
brunerwoman
Apr 19 2017 10:20 AM

I've been piecing and quilting.....gardening and mowing....piecing and quilting....gardening and mowing.  sigh!!   and spring has just started. 

Two baby quilts and a Christmas sampler on the machine today.  I think somebody sent out the word that my new knees were allowing me to get back to quilting and the phone has been ringing.  Guess I asked for it  :He He:   The days have been warm and wet, and the nights cold enough to frost.  Hopefully it won't keep all my flowering trees from blooming.  They're getting close!  I feel the dirt and flower pots calling me.  Another month before I can get serious about it.

Photo
Helen Baczynski
Apr 19 2017 12:12 PM

Today it's raining so I'm back working on my niece's wedding quilt. It's been on hold for a few days because it was too nice to be inside. Spring suddenly sprang so there was yard work to do and the outside sunshine to enjoy.

Photo
sueinscottsdale
Apr 19 2017 12:51 PM

I'm still working on my Glacier Star queen borders I have completed all the paper piecing and now I'm putting sections together. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Got a hug from the Dear Jane quilter--guess she liked it.  And the new quilt drop off brought a committee with her--(one being the Dear Jane quilter, and I knew they were coming together, there was a third I didn't know/expect) so we had fun discussing the possibilities with her quilt. 

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Apr 19 2017 02:36 PM

I've become part of a small sewing group, 5 or 6 of us, and we've been working on a paper-pieced flag quilt.  Spent all day Friday doing 100 or so 1.5 x 2.5 inch flying geese blocks.  :wacko:

Also have been plugging away at this month's blocks for the TQS BOM.  I saw Peg's in last week's WIP posts -- Peg, they are beautiful!  Here's one of mine .. don't know why the block looks like it has white paint on the upper edge!  not so in reality.

Attached File  IMG_0146.JPG   137.82KB   0 downloads

Photo
Helen Hubert
Apr 19 2017 03:06 PM

By 2 o'clock this afternoon I was so sick and tired of working on customer quilts I threw in the towel.  I finished the binding on two donation quilts of my own.  The larger one from a panel is going to Victim Services, and the small Disappearing 4-Patch is going to the hospice.

Attached File  P1030416a.jpg   179.58KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1030417.JPG   261.64KB   0 downloads

Just finished this for customer. I wish I hadn't had all the physical ailments while quilting it.  We are our own worst critics - aren't we.  100% cotton batting, So Fine and all FM. 

Attached File  mfgdone.jpg   265.45KB   0 downloads

I'm continuing to work on my Karen Kay Buckley class project. I finished prep'ing the circles and started appliqueing them to the border. Half are appliqued and half are just pinned in place:

Attached File  IMG_2570_1.JPG   1020.19KB   0 downloads

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Apr 19 2017 05:17 PM
Rehak that is really cool!
Photo
RileyBigshoes
Apr 19 2017 07:13 PM

You guys put me to shame.

Laura - I like the straight lines with the feathers.  Looks great.

rehak - That is a cool quilt.  A lot of circles to applique.  Can't wait to see it finished.

I have planned a Milky Way quilt to death and am cutting fabric now. 

Laura and Nancy, I really like what you have done.

Helen, those are both nice! I like how you used the panel and I love the disappearing 9 patch for the colors and quilting. 

Terry, you made great progress and I am waiting to see the finish. 

Today was my hubby's birthday! He is so funny, so he come in the house today and says " do you know how old I'll be in 12 years"
So I say " well lets see , 80, and so". then he says " I have lot to do" turns around and walks out. Men are weird!

Love to look at all the quilt pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Had some oral surgery, finished quilting a small piece for a client and finally found some inspiration to tackle another client quilt that I hope to finish the quilting today. I'm also adding the binding and a sleeve to that one before Saturday. Then the next in line is a client's sampler quilt with a large central block that is appliqué. Have less than a week to get that one finished. It's a week and a half to our guild getaway and my prep work for that is waiting for me to finish these deadline projects. Happy quilting!

I have been working on an unusual quilt - the blocks are made from a pretty floral fabric, then she used burlap for the sashings and border.  It is quilting up ok and I think it will look nice when done.  It is bed size, not sure what she will do with it.  

It does not compare to all of the beautiful quilts shown here by everyone else!

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Apr 20 2017 08:33 AM

I have been working on an unusual quilt - the blocks are made from a pretty floral fabric, then she used burlap for the sashings and border.  It is quilting up ok and I think it will look nice when done.  It is bed size, not sure what she will do with it.  

It does not compare to all of the beautiful quilts shown here by everyone else!

Wow, burlap for sashing?  I would never ever have thought of that, not in a million years.

The burlap lady either has an odd client or it is some sort of challenge! 

Oh I just LOVE WIP Wed! I just wish I would connect the dots that there is CHAT that day too! I get so inspired by pictures. I am hoping my ankle will cooperate a bit more. I want to do more than I should and I get chubby toes!

I am doing more piecing at the moment so here are my two active projects:

I am piecing the large block on Bonnie Hunter's En Provence Mystery. I still need to piece the last unit, but discovered that I had all the pieces I needed for the block. There are 72 pieces in each block! ACK!

Three completed so far (and I only did the half quilt!)

Miss CrabCakes is still progressing slowly. I try to work on her a bit every day. I am waffling on whether I want to redo her front COLORFUL claw. Up close it looks messy to me, but when I see it in a picture, I like it better. What you do you think?

Baking cookies for church today and trying not to overdo.

well drat...pictures I attached are not showing up in the post...

Attached File  enprovence42017.JPG   135.24KB   0 downloads

Attached File  misscrab42017.JPG   143.23KB   0 downloads

Wow, Beth.  I'm glad you persevered.  That is a very fascinating piece you are working on.  I'd leave her as is and play with some of the rest of it.  That will help  you decide if you still like it.  So are you glue basting? Or what?  I am intrigued.

So are you glue basting? Or what?  I am intrigued.

Peggy, I had the pleasure of taking a class in Feb/early March at Empty Spools Seminars in California from Susan Carlson. She teaches fabric collage. Just like paper collage but with...well...fabric. It is all glued. You pin the pieces till you are satisfied somewhat..and glue it in the middle of the piece. Edges are left free for tucking pieces under later. When all is complete, you have the choice of covering all with tulle or glueing all the edges. Quilting is usually just an overall to let the colors strut their stuff. You can see Susan's whole process on her blog. She is very generous with sharing her process- from designing the pattern to choosing the fabrics. Make sure you check out her Crocodylus Smylus- its HUGE!

www.susancarlson.com

Beth

PS  I have left the claw as you suggested, and have moved on. I will decide closer to putting on the background. Its been slow going but I can stand for longer periods now, so am anxious to work on her daily!

that must have been a really fun workshop.  I love it when her crocodile shows up in the magazines.  It's beyond comprehension.  Keep on keeping on with miss Crab Cakes.  It's going to be wonderful, and thanks for the info.