- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- April 5, 2017

Good morning!
It's Wednesday and time for our weekly WIP update.

My week has been filled with quilting for clients and getting Mom to various appointments. My husband turned several wooden boxes for the local Beads of Courage project, so I quilted up some flannel liners to place in the bottom of the boxes.

Your turn! Quilt-related or not, we're eager to hear about what has been keeping you busy this past week.

17 Comments

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Apr 05 2017 08:59 AM

I'll go first!   Finished month 3 of TheQuiltShow 2017 BOM... Paper piecing of the star border was very time consuming, so I didn't quite finish in March... but no worries!  month 4 has curved pieces ... oh my....!

Attached File  IMG_0126.JPG   171.75KB   0 downloads

That's pretty, Cathy.  I've been too busy with baby calves and other farming chores to do much quilting.  And of course people are calling - wanting quilts done for graduation!  I'm starting to tell them no, hate to turn away customers but I think it's better than making a promise and not getting done in time.

I have a Dear Jane next in the Queue.  Just have to get it loaded and get started....and I'll be there a while I think.  The client brought her photo album--from when she saw the original.  She wants minimal quilting, so it will be interesting.

Photo
Helen Baczynski
Apr 05 2017 10:18 AM

The weather has warmed up so I've been tidying the garden. I didn't turn on either of my machines yesterday - quite a notable event. I do need to get back to my niece's quilt. I'm packing up a box of quilts to send to Quilts Beyond Borders today, then might get my sewing room organised again - there are too many boxes just sitting around.

Your BOM is looking great, Cathy! I love seeing your progress on it!! I'm saving the pattern, but not making the quilt right now.

I'm continuing to work on my Nancy Prince class project. I finished the thread sketching and started the quilting. I saw a turned edge finishing technique on Quilting Arts yesterday that has to be done before the border is quilted, so I did that last night. Here's how it looks now:

Attached File  IMG_2553_1.JPG   964.92KB   0 downloads

The white thread around the dog is the water-soluable thread used in the cut-away trapunto, so that'll go away when I soak the quilt, but that'll wait for after I quilt the border.

We got a foot of snow yesterday, so I spent some time digging out. I'm looking forward to spring, but I really appreciate the snow to hopefully reduce the forest fires this summer.

Photo
sueinscottsdale
Apr 05 2017 12:32 PM

I finally finished piecing my Judy Niemeyer Rain Drops quilt top which was started in Sept. or October. It has been sitting on my design wall since my Glacier Star class began the beginning of Nov. Now I just need to get backing material and decide how to quilt it. Then I'll get back to finishing the queen borders on my Glacier Star.

Attached File  Raindrops - JN.jpg   329.35KB   0 downloads

Just got back home from our road trip to Alabama to see my sister! We drove around 5000 miles round trip. My only complaint it was cold everywhere so did get out and explore as much as usual. But now I'm home and back up with Gabby quilting out my daughter's quilt. Because I left it for a few weeks I came back to it and did some of the quilting different then I startedGrr! I only took part of it out. Couldn't bring myself to spend all day taking out meandering stitches!

Love seeing the pictures of your work Sue, Cathy and Nancy
Photo
brunerwoman
Apr 05 2017 12:45 PM

I've been working on finishing up some piecing projects...just more for the to-be-quilted cabinet.  got another Robert Callaham quilt on the frame. i think this is the 3rd, and last one, that i did. we are in our 3rd day of rain and thunderstorms and such. the grass is starting to need mowing. dh is sick and i'm trying to stay away so i don't get it. it's trying to be spring....but so far, it's just a mud pit.

I'm still working on my "Flowers for My Wedding Ring", a Judy Niemeyer pattern.  At the rate I'm going, I will be working on this for a very long time.  It's pretty easy, just time consuming.  Our Sewing Room, where I sew with friends, is closed today, so I can't take a photo.  Maybe tomorrow.  In the meanwhile, I still have part of the kitchen to paint, but I'm waiting for my new dishwasher to be delivered at the end of the week, as I don't want to have to re-tape the drop cloth and trim.  The dishwasher was supposed to be here last week, but I have a feeling the salesman forgot to order it.  I'm slightly put-out.  It gets frustrating when you're waiting for one thing to happen so you can get another part done.  I suppose, if I were much faster at painting, I could have it done before the dishwasher arrives, but my body only allows me to do a little at a time.  And, I guess I'm not going anywhere, so it doesn't really matter all that much!

Jo Ann - I'd never heard of Beads of Courage before.  Sounds like an interesting program.  I love seeing the various charitable programs people support.

there is a similar beads program at the childrens hospital here--some of these kids have strings that are 3 yards long---we make bags to hold their beads. 

In the meanwhile, I still have part of the kitchen to paint, but I'm waiting for my new dishwasher to be delivered at the end of the week, as I don't want to have to re-tape the drop cloth and trim.  The dishwasher was supposed to be here last week, but I have a feeling the salesman forgot to order it.  I'm slightly put-out.  It gets frustrating when you're waiting for one thing to happen so you can get another part done.  I suppose, if I were much faster at painting, I could have it done before the dishwasher arrives, but my body only allows me to do a little at a time.  And, I guess I'm not going anywhere, so it doesn't really matter all that much!

be sure they unpack it before the delivery person leaves. We just got a new one and it has a big dent in the middle of the door. Company talked DH into accepting a new door..that HE will install. That means if something goes wrong with THAT , then its OUR problem. We didn't dent the door! I had to listen to him install the dishwasher while i was stuck in the chair. When he puts in the new door? I am going to lock myself in the sewing room!

I finished a monster edge to edge a few days ago and today I finished a 9-block embroidered quilt.  The lady who did the embroidery colored the ladies with crayons and then sewed beads around the dresses, parasols, etc.  I've told her many times it would be best if she waited until after quilting, but she said, "oh just a few."  Compared to what she usually does, this is pretty tame and I managed to only knock off two of the tiny beads.  The blocks were done free-hand with itty bitty feather fillers around the ladies.  Borders were done with an IQ OSNA design, setting blocks were Helen Baczynski's Betty Flower.

Attached File  parasol-ladies-2-web.jpg   82.49KB   0 downloads

I am piecing a quilt for the kids camp. I picked up 4 from them to do this month and 2 from a quilter friend. 

Nice projects everybody

Sue, I am envious of the raindrops quilt!  I have the stuff to do  an Amazon star and raindrops. 

Love the gorgeous piecing and quilting shown this week.

I just smocking and sewing an Easter dress for one of my little granddaughters.

Attached File  0401171451_resized.jpg   67.28KB   0 downloads

Photo
Vicki in MN
Apr 06 2017 12:48 PM

Beautiful work ladies!  I am jumping from one project to another and back and forth. Just can't settle on one thing.

be sure they unpack it before the delivery person leaves. We just got a new one and it has a big dent in the middle of the door. Company talked DH into accepting a new door..that HE will install. That means if something goes wrong with THAT , then its OUR problem. We didn't dent the door! I had to listen to him install the dishwasher while i was stuck in the chair. When he puts in the new door? I am going to lock myself in the sewing room!

They are installing it for me.  No way I'm crawling around under the sink and on the floor.  I'll make sure there are not dings or dents before they leave!  Oh, and they are installing it TOMORROW MORNING!  I'm so excited.

Here are the arcs for my DWR -- they're not trimmed, and there will be blocks in the corners.  Not sure I'm liking the colors, which aren't represented accurately in the photo, but I guess it will do.

Attached File  Arcs.jpg   135.11KB   0 downloads

Lissa, You smocking is GORGEOUS! My mom did some smocking for our daughter. My two little grands would look so cute....uh oh! Another craft! lol

Linda, I hope by the time you read this, your dishwasher is in and working!

I am crutch-less AND leaving the house on my own today to get my hair cut! That will have to be my WIP this week- ME!