- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- February 22, 2017

Good morning!
It's time for our weekly WIP update. I've been busy the past week taking Mom to various appointments, working on clients' quilts, and helping clear over 20" of new snow. I also worked with my husband on making some wooden bowls that will be donated to an organization in Anchorage that feeds the homeless for their annual fundraiser. He did the turning, and I did the painting, stamping and branding (woodburning) on some of them.

Your turn! Quilt-related or not we want to hear about your projects.

17 Comments

Photo
Mary in the Mountains
Feb 22 2017 11:05 AM
I'm so happy to be quilting again. Back in MT and my pinched nerve pain is healing. I'm doing this little baby quilt with Barbara abecker's Birds' Eye View panto from digitech.com

Attached Files

Photo
brunerwoman
Feb 22 2017 11:26 AM

I did a bunch of hand work while I played chauffeur last week for my DIL while son was in the hospital.  Got the February block from Buttermilk Basin stitched....another block for the Dresden Plates....and 3 or 4 blocks for the Doll House quilt.  

Photo
QuiltingwithGrace
Feb 22 2017 11:54 AM

Mary, glad you are up and running AND feeling better!

Jo Ann, you have been very busy!  Glad some of it was creative.

Oh my gosh, Shirley, even when you have forced down time you get plenty done.

I'm frustrated with the DWR so I'm taking a break and working on two identical small VERY simple table toppers for two people who will never meet.  ha ha  Not reinventing the wheel for every quilt anymore.  I thought these would be great "two-fers."  Get two things off my list and give me practice fm thread sketching.

I thought one thread looked wimpy so I added another layer in another color. 

Attached File  File Feb 22, 12 31 23 PM.jpeg   174.54KB   0 downloads

I thought that was too wimpy also so now I am painting it.  Not done yet.  I heard recently, "There are no mistakes.  There are only opportunities for growth and learning."  I just may be taking that to the extreme.   :LMAO:  :LMAO:   

Attached File  corner sunflower.jpg   102.91KB   0 downloads

I was able to play with my IQ for a couple of hours over the weekend.  Another couple of hours and I will be confident enough to try it out on a real quilt. Woohoo!!

The painting really adds to that, Robin. I think it's looking wonderful!

I've been low on motivation lately, but when I pulled together pictures for this post, I feel like I somehow got a lot done. I finished this painted piece:

Attached File  IMG_2483_1.JPG   1.05MB   0 downloads

Then I made this project roll to go with the little applique thread bag that I made a couple of weeks ago:

Attached File  IMG_2485_1.JPG   831.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2486_1.JPG   894.46KB   0 downloads

It's rolled around a shipping tube that I had to pick up before I could make it. Now the shipping tube can be used to hold things like the pattern and supplies. Pretty clever!

Since I had the applique roll, I figured I needed to pull out a hand applique project. This is my class project from a Karen Kay Buckley hand applique class I took several years ago. I didn't get far in class because we had to share just 2 irons among 20-25 people, but I made some good progress last night:

Attached File  IMG_2488_1.JPG   796.4KB   0 downloads

I was able to finish a small wall hanging and put the binding and sleeve on it, and the binding on another small wall hanging.

I take pictures of the quilts I finish, but when I download them on my laptop it puts the pictures someplace else and not in my

regular picture album. Haven't figure out how to find them to resize and download here. Had this problem ever since I got windows 10. I think a

visit to my tec is in order to find out how to get them from one place to where I want it. Did copy and paste -didn't work.

Also working on one of my many UFO's, it is half way done, determined to finish it this time.

While my computer is being fixed (I hope!) I'm finishing the bindings on all the quilts I just finished for myself.  Not bothering with hand binding, doing zig zag stitching and IMO, since they're not going in a show, they're okay.  Just finished this one.  

Attached File  pno.jpg   172.51KB   0 downloads

Photo
D-Liteful Quilts
Feb 22 2017 03:21 PM
I'm working on this Feathered Snowflake. I usually struggle with how to quilt Judy Niemeyer quilts, but not this one. For some reason, the ideas just flowed. I'm pleased how it's turning out. Just need to finish the navy areas.Attached File  20170222_130930.jpg   188.54KB   0 downloads
Attached File  20170222_130909.jpg   170.02KB   0 downloads
Photo
RileyBigshoes
Feb 22 2017 04:50 PM

Mary, what is the grid under (over?) your panto?  I've been looking for something on that order.

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Feb 22 2017 04:55 PM

I thought that was too wimpy also so now I am painting it.  Not done yet.  I heard recently, "There are no mistakes.  There are only opportunities for growth and learning."  I just may be taking that to the extreme.   :LMAO:  :LMAO:   

Attached File  Robin's barking dog.jpg   161.93KB   0 downloads

Just sayin'.

Photo
Mary in the Mountains
Feb 22 2017 05:47 PM

Mary, what is the grid under (over?) your panto? I've been looking for something on that order.

Riley, the grid is over the panto, and I love it! It's called The Pattern Grid by Colorado Quilting Company LLC. Worth every penny.

I'm back sewing at the local sewing room with my friends.  I finished that Bethlehem Star last week and now I'm back at my Triple Feathered Star I started a few years ago.  I had about half of it sewn together, but then decided I wasn't happy with the first start, so I took it apart.  I re-made the smallest 'feathers', which finish at 3/8".  They take a long time to piece and press, but I've decided that I'll take all the time I want to get it right.  This will be all red and white - it's Moda French General fabric.  I'll post some photos when I have more than just a bunch of HSTs to show.  ;)

Nice work everybody!

I'm feeling some twangs of envy here.  Love all of the "pretties" shown.  I am with another sick grandbaby this week -- at least this one isn't down with the flu.  And tomorrow I'm headed out of town, into the snows of Omaha I hear, as my sister-in-law is in her final days of metastatic breast cancer.  DH wants to be there to say his goodbyes and sit with her before death, rather than be there just for a funeral.  He's a sweet guy.  In the mean time I'm missing some quilting time.  I'll have to let my customers know I'm running way behind now.

Sorry to hear about your sister, Lissa.  It's good that you can be there, but yes it is snowing there.  

I got back from my vacation in Costa Rica on Tuesday, just in time for the snow.  I had our club raffle quilt loaded and started before I left, so am working on that again.  No picture of it yet.

Photo
Donna in NH
Feb 24 2017 10:27 AM

Another wonderful show this week! 

Jo Ann, I would love to see pics of the bowls. They sound wonderful!

Lissa, so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. Sending prayers for the family.

Nancy I love that applique roll! I made one before as a gift for a friend. One of these days I'll make one for myself.

Thanks to the motivation from Mary and the rest of the challenge crew, I have been working on my ruler work this month. Here is my project so far. It's not perfect by any means, but I'm happy with it. I just need to trim and bind.

Attached File  ruler fans.jpg   142.06KB   0 downloads

So many pretty projects taking place this week!

Am a bit late chiming in as I don't have much to report; worked on some client quilting, been tossing around some ideas for a wholecloth quilt (have never attempted before), installed a new printer and cleared snow, more snow, still more snow and then a bit more snow!  Also, been working with a new realtor in Pennsylvania in attempts to get my childhood home sold for my Momma; oh did I mention clearing snow.  Having snowed everyday for 4 days with accumulations of around 20 some inches, it was a constant battle keeping the drive and sidewalk clear for clients to pickup and drop-off. Might I add that the snow blower quick working on day 2 of snow.  OH, my aching back, there never has been a snow shovel made to fit my hands well.  :Hmmmph: :He He: