- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- March 1, 2017

Good morning!
Good morning! It's Wednesday, and time for our weekly WIP update. It's the first one for the month of March, too; so let the show begin.

17 Comments

Photo
brunerwoman
Mar 01 2017 10:24 AM

I have been out of the studio for a couple days, so i am playing catch-up. Got all my February goals done (on blog, if interested).  Making my March to-do list. Trying to get organized. Leather stuff is buzzing around in my head....it must come out. 

I'm quilting! After getting major malware in the computer connected to my sewing head - it's working today.  Computer went to Geek Squad and everything was wiped out. The Innova folks connected into my system and reloaded everything again. After a few days of tweaking, etc. I'm quilting.  And.....I only had to pay for the Geek Squad stuff. Phew!!!!! Ever go through quilting withdrawals?  

Photo
QuiltingwithGrace
Mar 01 2017 10:57 AM

Laura, glad you are up and running at a minimalish cost.

I'm with Shirley.  I have so much buzzing around in my head.  I wanna quilt.  No, I wanna draw.  No, I wanna paint. No, quilt ... no draw ...  I wish there were 30 hours in a day, 8 days in a week, 5 weeks in a month ... you get the picture.  I drew this in class Monday night.  It is one of my favorite pictures of dd#1 partly because it captured her in contemplation without her knowing.  I call it "Girl in Reflection" and have already done it a couple of ways.  Now I'm trying to draw it "all by my big girl-self" in preparation for an art quilt.  This will be the first time I have actually drawn it so it is a little "scawey" as Tella says.

Attached File  Rachel drawing.jpg   54.46KB   0 downloads

Photo
Joy-in-Illinois
Mar 01 2017 11:01 AM

I got my taxes done and filed!!  And, after about 10 days of trying to figure out what to do with this quilt on my frame, I finally have a plan.  This was made harder due to the client (1) wanting no feathers,, (2) no secondary designs; (3) previous AQS 1st place ribbon winner.  She likes geometrics and gave me some ideas of other swoon quilts and pointed out what she liked and disliked.  This makes her sound really particular - which she is - but she was really nice. I do appreciate getting feedback on likes and dislikes of a quilt.  We did talk about the background fill and she liked a pebbly fill and thought it would be ok to fill up all the white space with a background fill. Without being able to do a secondary design, I went with that background fill all around the swoon blocks; but, I personally feel it would have been better to break that space up a bit. Oh, she also said she had no budget - which is good because this one will take a while to do!

Attached Files

Photo
Joy-in-Illinois
Mar 01 2017 11:04 AM

Oh Robin, I just saw your drawing. Amazing! Can't wait to see more of what you do with that. 

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Mar 01 2017 11:45 AM
No quilting. At the Daytona show!

Robin...boy can I relate to your post! I wish I had more hours to do everything my hands and heart want to do.

Joy, that is gorgeous already....I can't wait to see  it finished. I always love your posts of finishes.

I finally finished a QOV yesterday so I guess it's not a WIP. I tried out some new to me techniques and was ok with the results...not happy with the bunting border I tried, but I could hear Peggy saying "Each quilt is practice for the next one."

Today I'll be making a set of placemats for a client and loading up some fleece to make a throw blanket for a parishioner who will be starting chemotherapy.

Barb K. in Buffalo

Attached Files

I love your drawing, Robin, and your quilting, Joy. So inspiring!

I continued to work on my hand applique project. I finished the applique on the block itself so need to work on the border next. I don't have enough of the background fabric for the border so I have to wait for some fabric I ordered (hopefully it'll work!) before I can continue with this one.

Attached File  IMG_2489_1.JPG   875.62KB   0 downloads

While waiting for the fabric to arrive, I pulled out another class project UFO. This one is from a Caryl Bryer Fallert Gentry class. I don't have any pictures yet, but should have some next week. I had to start with taking apart a lot of what I did in class because it didn't fit together quite right. Hopefully it'll work better this time when I have more space and am not sharing the lightbox and iron!

Photo
Helen Baczynski
Mar 01 2017 12:28 PM
Great things posted today!

I'm quilting this that I've made for a cousin. The part showing isn't quilted yet, so I added the other photo where you can see part of the back. The backing is flannel because that's all I had that was big enough but it should make the quilt warm. The quilt isn't that big - about 70"x70". Everything except the stitch in the ditch is done by iQ.
Attached File  JandK 01.JPG   368.01KB   0 downloads

Attached File  JandK 02.JPG   216.12KB   0 downloads

I've started cutting another project that's been in a box, waiting, for many years.
Photo
Vicki in MN
Mar 01 2017 01:07 PM

Loving everyones projects!

I am working on my March Island Batik ambassador project. It's paper piecing month.

Attached File  DSCN0378smallest.jpg   70.31KB   0 downloads

Beautiful projects today. Very inspiring. I'm trying to finish up this very large colorful quilt I asked for suggestions last week. Almost done as she added a very large pillow sham to go with the quilt. Cannot wait to get it done! I'll have to post pictures of it later. My phone won't let me download a picture of it.

Joy I really like what your doing with that quilt.  I something get tired of feathers myself.  Great Job!  Be sure to post a finish, please!

Wow Grace nice drawing sketch!  Your daughter should be impressed!

So I'm still working on Daughter"s Hunters Star.  It just needs the border but I did not estimate the black fabric correctly so waiting on more.  But it's all sewn and I'm happy with it.  While I wait I will be binding my mystery quilt that I sat aside to work on this.  And I will be drawing quilting options for the Hunter Star.

Yet another side ways picture!

Attached Files

I have wonky flying geese on the frame but we have had a day of thunderstorms and really high winds. I quilted a bargello the night before but may put more stitching on it. I sewed a rag quilt from xmas last night but have to clip the whole thing. I have a matching one ready to sew. I went ahead and used the sewing machine but not the Gammill. 

Photo
Helen Hubert
Mar 02 2017 06:49 AM
Gosh, some great things here this week! I spent yesterday out with a friend - she took me for a birthday lunch and then we went to the seed store to stock up for our summer gardens. I always tell people that "I eat for free all summer", but it's not REALLY true when you spend $75 on seeds.
This is what I'm starting today. I won't get very far since I have to get ready for a retreat this weekend.
Attached File  20170302_074058.jpg   202.04KB   0 downloads
Photo
QuiltingwithGrace
Mar 02 2017 10:05 AM

Joy, the texture in that so feminine quilt your client made is just absolutely gorgeous.  Can't want to see the whole thing finished!

Cathy, I had to laugh.  Since dh watches a lot of Nascar, I assumed the Daytona race.  After thinking about that I realized it might be a quilt show.

Love your star flower, Nancy.

Helen, my hands down all time favorite quilts are traditional monochromatic quilts that have that antique feel.  Gonna have to make me one of those.

Vicki, can't wait to see what that is finished.

Nancy, Michelle from Canada quilted an absolutely gorgeous Hunter's Star.  Maybe she'll pipe up and post a link.

Helen, not to mention all the sweat and time you'll spend watering and weeding!  With my luck I'd plant a garden and find out it was over an area toxic waste had been dumped.  I'm gonna continue to Harris Teeter my veggies.

Y'all have a great week!  

Cathy, I had to laugh.  Since dh watches a lot of Nascar, I assumed the Daytona race.  After thinking about that I realized it might be a quilt show.

Robin, I did the same thing! :Doh:

Love your star flower, Nancy.

Thank you

Nancy, Michelle from Canada quilted an absolutely gorgeous Hunter's Star.  Maybe she'll pipe up and post a link.

Great I hope she does.  I might try to find it!  Thanks!

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Mar 02 2017 05:22 PM

Ha Ha ... you folks are only NASCAR fans by marriage, I can tell, since the race was Sunday!  (Would actually love to go to one of those races, though!)

Nope, I was at the Daytona AQS show.  Got to see Bethanne's, Debra's and Margaret's work close up.  Truly amazing stuff.  I give the show in general only a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.  I've only ever been to one of them before, which was Lancaster in 2016, but that seemed much bigger, more special exhibits, better organized, more food choices ...  But that didn't stop me from spending some bucks in the vendor area!  Got a set of swag rulers, that I hope will come in handy for the donation veterans quilts I've been doing.