- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- March 15, 2017

Good afternoon!
Sorry I wasn't able to post before I had to leave the house early this morning. It's Wednesday and time for our weekly WIP update. I've been busy getting Mom to and from appointments and finishing up a client's quilt that is getting a full custom treatment. I hope to be able to share photographs once I receive her permission.

Quilt-related or not, be sure to take a moment to share your projects with us.

19 Comments

Photo
Joy-in-Illinois
Mar 15 2017 07:20 PM

It's been a busy week. I finished the swoon quilt I had posted here a couple of weeks ago (and posted pics in Final Product) and have this one on the frame now. It's a charity fundraiser and they want a full custom treatment.  I'm planning a mix of freehand and computerized work on this. The big blank squares will get a computerized motif and the stars and the border will get a freehand treatment. I'm still learning how to use the Gallery on my A1, but I know I can do those big blocks easily enough. I'm finding the hard part is identifying a digital pattern to use. 

Attached Files

I've had a very busy week too.  Taught a longarm class today--neat student.  Retired guy, woodworker, figured he'd learn how to longarm so he could finish his wifes quilts :)   I kept telling the other student there were no quilt police and she could do whatever made her happy.  Gary,  I told him he had to do whatever made his wife happy LOL

Have a quilt basted on my machine--basted the whole thing a la Jean Schute.  1) it had pieced triangle borders and they were all too big and 2) double gauze backing--I'd heard another longarmer say it stretched just sitting on her frame (gravity pulling it down), so I wanted it all basted--and I'm rolling the whole thing back to the backing roller when I'm not quilting.  Told the client I wouldn't guarantee no puckers.

Tomorrow will be a play day, meeting a long time friend to help her buy fabric for her first quilt!!!  Also loaning her a ruler, rotary cutter and mat--she can her own set if she wants to make a 2nd quilt :) 

Photo
Vicki in MN
Mar 15 2017 08:53 PM

Working on one of my own in between cleaing house, I have the local longarm group meeting here on Saturday. 

Attached File  DSCN0411.JPG   92.71KB   0 downloads

I heard a crow cawing up a storm, looked out and the crow and eagle were sitting in the same tree.  This is such a rare occurance that we see an eagle on our property so what a treat!  I enjoyed him for a minute before running for the camera as I didn't think he'd still be there. But I so wanted to get a pic for my DH as he loves eagles. He flew just seconds after me snapping this pic.

Attached File  DSCN0414.JPG   116.66KB   0 downloads

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Mar 15 2017 09:03 PM

Vicki, is that a panto?  Which one?  If not, you need to teach a class on that design.  It's wonderful.

This is month 3 of a BOM I'm doing from "The Quilt Show" site. All the fabrics except the
white background are from my stash.

Peg

Attached Files

I downloaded a free stipple panto and taped it together, stitched it on one of the quilts for the kids camp. They had suggested just doing stipple. I have only done a tiny stipple and just a minutes worth. I love the quilted out stipple on  the quilt. It took longer to load the quilt and I did baste it, than it did to do the stipple. It is just so wonderful to have a nice machine. 

Those are beautiful projects! 

Peg, that is a great looking BOM. Is that a pattern that is for sale?

Riley,   this is the site:   http://www.designsbyvickie.com/

* i used the hearty meander but drew over the heart to make it a dog bone type, I made little differences to change it a bit. I drew a red line for the bottom edge when I got to it and will just make more for another quilt. You might be able to print with a longer portion to have a row to line up but I didn't feel I needed it. Just eyeballed it and I am sure you get it. 

scroll down to edge to edge...keep scrolling for computerized free patterns too

my notes:
use the top set of pdf pantos
all pdfs are mixed. I like the one in g to h (hearty meander)as a stipple
page i to L has kopkopelli
lady bugs
page m to o has masks...for pumpkins and MEANDERS lots of them!
ferns and MONSTERS!!!!
NAVEJO suns
OCEAN waves
p tor R has  roses
t has 30's flowers, turtles, tweety bird
u to z has water ***WAVY CROSSHATCH
***border has flower like my crazy cats buggy barn
there are border sets and block sets

Attached Files

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Mar 16 2017 04:12 AM

I downloaded a free stipple panto and taped it together, stitched it on one of the quilts for the kids camp. They had suggested just doing stipple. I have only done a tiny stipple and just a minutes worth. I love the quilted out stipple on  the quilt. It took longer to load the quilt and I did baste it, than it did to do the stipple. It is just so wonderful to have a nice machine. 

Those are beautiful projects! 

Peg, that is a great looking BOM. Is that a pattern that is for sale?

Denby, I like the stippling.  Could you share the link?

Photo
Vicki in MN
Mar 16 2017 05:28 AM

Vicki, is that a panto?  Which one?  If not, you need to teach a class on that design.  It's wonderful.

Nope I made it up and it is freehand...sure my studio is open, want to come up:)  I'll explain it a bit in the final forum when I post the the finish;)

Love seeing what everyone is working on. I just finished this one using up some of my stash. Ummm I don't think it's colorful enough! (kidding)  :blink:

Attached File  brightblock.jpg   240.14KB   0 downloads

Photo
QuiltingwithGrace
Mar 16 2017 09:56 AM

Jo Ann, you are entitled to a personal life ... just keep it to a minimum ok?  jk!  Take care of your mom.  She's lucky to have you.  Michelle, isn't it fun when those we love decide to try what we love to do?  Vicki, so NEAT that you saw that eagle and got the picture.

Peg, your stash is popping on that quilt.  Not sure I would have the guts to use my stash.  Denby, that pattern is the Quilt Show's free block of the month.  You have to be a member.  After December it is no longer available although it might be for sale somewhere then.

I know lots of people who would LOVE a quilt with so much color.

While doing my "stitch path" and thread tests I realized, my art quilt didn't look like the art quilt in my head.  Duh!  Value!  So I played around with value studies last night and this morning.  These are from top to bottom my value study tests.  Will still do some tweaking before I make a final decision.

Attached File  value study all.jpg   137.58KB   0 downloads

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Mar 16 2017 01:27 PM

I've been working on this customer quilt.  

Attached Files

Photo
Helen Hubert
Mar 16 2017 04:08 PM
We had a blizzard here Tuesday and Wednesday, so I had two lovely days that I could stay in yoga pants and forgo the mascara.
I had six small customer pieces that needed binding. Here are a few of them.
Attached File  20170316_175521.jpg   189.83KB   0 downloads

On number three I stabbed myself with the industrial sewing machine.Attached File  20170315_174620.jpg   68.36KB   0 downloads

I was bleeding like a stuck pig. I know that sounds crass, but honestly, I didn't even make it upstairs to the bandaids before I had to start swabbing blood up off the floor. So that was the end of my workday. I spent the rest of the evening with wine & tv.

Wow! You guy are always working on so many incredible things!!

I'm still plugging away at the 1/4" stems in the border of my hand applique class sample. 2 1/2 sides done.....

Attached File  IMG_2502_1.JPG   903.23KB   0 downloads

I'm also watching a lot of basketball since it's March Madness. Go Jayhawks!!

Great looking quilts and projects from all. Believe it or not I took the time to take some pictures of a quilt I quilted for a sweet neighbor. She always does a great job with piecing. This is the Meadow Mist Mystery quilt for 2017. (Our small quilt group did it as a group project. I have my blocks together but need to add some borders before it is ready to quilt.) I used Nouveau Feathers by Hermoine Agee.

Attached Files

Helen, I sure feel your pain. I stitched thru my finger on the longarm a few years ago. 

ALL these projects look great. I feel like such a slug...no really, I have been busy but just doing other things. The big load will come off my shoulders once the taxes are done. Went away on vacation to Palm Desert CA for the first time - what a gorgeous place. Hiking, swimming and a day at the Indian wells tennis tournament. In California it was 90 degrees with sunny blue skies...the day after we got home it was 17 degrees and winter storm Stella dropped a foot and a half of snow on us. I'm ready to sew again now that I am home. Enjoyed seeing all the eye candy  here.

Barb K. in Buffalo

Photo
QuiltingwithGrace
Mar 17 2017 08:01 AM

Helen, that is my worst fear.  Haven't done it yet.  Riley, Helen and Trisha ... nice looking quilts!  Wish I was actually quilting, but still working on design.  Nancy, that is totally awesome, but it really looks like a boatload of work!  Are you hand appliqueing that or by machine?  Barb, vaca is a necessity sometimes.

Nancy, that is totally awesome, but it really looks like a boatload of work!  Are you hand appliqueing that or by machine?

Hi Robin - Thanks! I'm doing all hand applique on this one since that's what the class was about. It's good practice, but sure does take a long time! But it's also satisfying so it's worth it.

Everyone has been so busy!  I have only been lurking lately  but I hope to get back to posting more often.

Peg, I guess I need to get on the Quilt Show and download my patterns. Has been a month or so since I checked. I, too, hope to do it out of my stash.

Attached File  61617.jpg   114.74KB   0 downloads

This is from a Maven (new line by MODA) layer cake that I was using for a sample but I have just about sold out so it will be my daughter's when I am done.

Attached File  72184.jpg   127.93KB   0 downloads

This is the quilt for our newest grand, Audrey, who was born in November. It is the 3rd of this embroidery pattern I have done.

Attached File  RZFarm2.jpg   64.27KB   0 downloads

These are my 6" blocks I have been working on from the Farm Girl Vintage book and they are all from my stash of thirties.