- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- March 29, 2017

Good morning!
It's Wednesday and time for another weekly show and share. It's the last one for the month of March, too. So post away!

19 Comments

Photo
Helen Baczynski
Mar 29 2017 09:41 AM
Working on my niece's double wedding ring quilt. The really dark is purple, the rest shades of grey. Her choice.
Attached File  ella in progress.JPG   174.81KB   1 downloads

Then yesterday I got side tracked sewing all my scraps together. At first I thought I'd make scrappy stars, but having made this one, I realized there were just too many seams so I changed my mind after discovering I'd already started making scrappy melon shapes for a double wedding ring variation. I cut out a lot today using my Quilting from the Heartland template. (I'm using those for the grey/purple quilt too.)
Attached File  scrap star.JPG   229.7KB   1 downloads
Attached File  scrap melons.JPG   246.86KB   1 downloads

Seems I'm on a curved piecing journey right now.

Other than running the drift test with my IQ, nothing else quilt related for me.  I did need to increase the motor strength on the y-axis one notch to get it nearly perfect.  But it is less than 1/4" off now, which is certainly acceptable. 

For non-quilt related items, I did assist with the framing and rough electrical work on my niece's basement.  A total of 12 hours Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday.  We used up a whole lot of 2x4's and over 800 nails.  Luckily, I was smart enough to go out and buy myself a pneumatic framing nailer and not try to drive all those nails in by hand.  But my thighs were very sore Sunday and Monday from all the ups and downs.  I didn't feel so badly, when my niece's fiancĂ© (a 20-something, part-time physical trainer) was also very sore on Sunday.  Thankfully, it only took a couple of days for my thighs to recover.

I've also started a Double Wedding Ring, but it will be paper-pieced, using Judy Niemeyer's pattern, "Flowers for My Wedding Ring."  I haven't gotten farther than cutting out the strips and the pattern pieces, so sewing won't begin until tomorrow.

Attached File  flowers for my wedding ring.jpg   92.98KB   0 downloads

When I'm not sewing, I'm still trying to fix up my kitchen.  I bought an old cabinet at the local recycler and painted it white (my kitchen is black and white, and now a little grey).  I want to stencil a design on the front of the cabinet doors, but still haven't settled on what I want there.

Attached File  green cabinet.jpg   56.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  white cabinet.jpg   71.49KB   0 downloads

Quilting up one of my own BQ4. There's been a run on them in the LQS because they've been teaching it. I've made maybe 5 so far. Easy and I can use up fabrics without cutting them into small pieces.  

Attached File  bq4.jpg   161.22KB   0 downloads

Just took this chevron off the frame today.  I used House of Creation's snakes chevron, fairy pearls chevron, and multi-circles chevron.

Attached File  Chevrons (1).JPG   437.31KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Chevrons (2).JPG   324.01KB   0 downloads

Photo
brunerwoman
Mar 29 2017 02:00 PM

My Wednesday is not going so well.

..my embroidery machine has been in the shop for a few days....it needs some TLC....or a bigger hammer. haha  so i can't play with her.

..dh is working (and cussing) on the studio computer. so, no sit down breaks over there. i came back to the house to let the dog out for a bit....and check MQR. haha

..i forgot to take something out of the freezer for dinner....so, that is up in the air. i see dh put a can of tomato soup on the counter. hahahaha

perhaps tomorrow will be better

As usual, so much incredible work going on here! Sorry to hear about your bad day, Shirley! My battle with my internet provider today might match your day. I'm just now back up (at least for the time being....), after not being able to work all day.

This week I finished hand appliqueing the striped border and added the borders to my Karen Kay Buckley project:

Attached File  IMG_2530_1.JPG   1.01MB   0 downloads

Now I need to applique a bunch of random circles to the stripe border and then embellish with hand embroidery, but I'm putting this away for a little while to take a break from the handwork. Now I've pulled out the class project from a Nancy Prince thread sketching class in Houston last year:

Attached File  IMG_2292_1.JPG   1.4MB   0 downloads

The face is done so I'm working on the scarf and body now. The thread sketching should be done pretty soon, then I just have to figure out what to do with it.

Photo
Vicki in MN
Mar 29 2017 04:15 PM

Love, love, love the dog Nancy!

Shirley your day kinda reminds me of my own- Other than binding 2 runners I didn't accomplish much else:(  it's another gloomy day here and I know it affects me way more than I like.

I posted another simple, really simple, quilt for the kids camp in the final product. 

Helen, you are more ambitious than I am!

Terry, sounds like a lot of work and great skill set and uncle to me.

Lissa that is beautiful! I love the pattern and the quilting is terrific.

Shirley, I feel badly and hope you have a better day tomorrow. I am still not sending her back.

Nancy, the applique is beautiful but the dog is amazing!

Nice projects eveybody!

I fell last Thursday so since then this

Attached File  fallfoot.JPG   112.07KB   1 downloads

has been my view on the world. 

Attached File  applique.JPG   121.08KB   1 downloads

I unearthed an old hand applique blocks I had 

prepped for a travel project. I was going kind of stir crazy!

(sorry its sideways...)

THIS

Attached File  designwall32917.JPG   117.36KB   0 downloads

is what is on my design wall. Meet Miss CrabCakes

started in a Susan Carlson class at Empty Spools in

California the end of Feb. I HOPE to get in there for a 

few hours tomorrow. DH is out of town and I will be free. 

Hopefully I will be able to handle getting in and out of the sewing room 

on crutches! I got x-rayed today. Today is the first day I have

been able to put any weight on it at all. Thank goodness for

roll-y office chairs!!

(ps. those two sideways pictures show up properly on my computer. Only when I post them here do they

turn sideways....SIGH)

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Mar 29 2017 07:20 PM

sorry bout your injury, Beth ....  Do I see Helen's scrappy star behind your cardinals?!

Nancy, your dog is unbelievably cute! 

Mostly work-work for me (you know, the kind that pays the bills) so far this week.  :-(

' Do I see Helen's scrappy star behind your cardinals?!'

Yes, Yes you do! MQR has  been on my daily rounds this week! It helps with the stir crazies, but I still cannot quilt on the frame!

Photo
Mary in the Mountains
Mar 30 2017 08:43 AM

I fell last Thursday so since then this
attachicon.giffallfoot.JPG
has been my view on the world. 

attachicon.gifapplique.JPG

I unearthed an old hand applique blocks I had 
prepped for a travel project. I was going kind of stir crazy!
(sorry its sideways...

THIS
attachicon.gifdesignwall32917.JPG
is what is on my design wall. Meet Miss CrabCakes
started in a Susan Carlson class at Empty Spools in
California the end of Feb.

(ps. those two sideways pictures show up properly on my computer. Only when I post them here do they
turn sideways....SIGH)

Beth, so sorry to hear about your ankle! Is it broken?

I've been wondering about your Susan Carlson class ever since we talked in Houston. Was it fantastic? I'm so jealous!

Nancy - that pup is so cool!

Lissa - Awesome quilting...aren't chevrons fun to quilt?!

Beth - ack! I hope you heal soon and enjoy the handwork.

I finished up some client quilts and have none in the queue so I put one of my own on...this was Carol's mystery from several months (maybe a year?) back. I added a pieced border to make it a little larger and have quilted the border with rulers and the interior with Anne Bright's Splat panto. I added the binding on the longarm thanks to Shelley's directions...and will handsew it to the back when I get home on Saturday. Currently in Miami with DH who is attending a conference. It's a tough life sitting here at the pool and on the beach.....

Barb K. in Buffalo

Attached Files

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Mar 30 2017 10:23 AM

Beth, I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle.  What a bummer.  Several years ago I had some foot surgery done.  At first I thought it would be great to sit in my recliner  with my feet up, and just watch TV or read.  Boy, did that get old fast!  Hoping you'll have a very quick recovery.  :)

Beth, so sorry to hear about your ankle! Is it broken?

I've been wondering about your Susan Carlson class ever since we talked in Houston. Was it fantastic? I'm so jealous!

x-rayed yesterday still waiting on the doc to call. Either way, it still pays to keep ice on it and elevate! I am itching to get in the sewing room!

Susan Carlson's class was A Ma ZING! I learned so much, I am still dreaming about my MissCrabCakes at night. I have not worked on her in a week and I am still dreaming about her! you can see most of the class projects in progress on her blog. She did a walk about in the class room. I loved seeing the 2nd week class projects too. 

Thank you everyone for the good wishes on my ankle. I am SO much better but think I over did it a bit yesterday. Slow starting today....

Beth - sorry to hear about the ankle.  Until you know if it's broken or fractured, it's probably best to stay off it.  RICE is the prescription - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  If it's not too painful, try moving it a bit without weight on it.  I was told to try and write the alphabet with my big toe.  Just don't get too vigorous.  It's good to keep some movement in it, but not to stress it too much.  Glad you have some pretty things to work on in the meanwhile.

I finished piecing 2 wall hangings for other people ...they will quilt, and I finished a Cathedral window that my Daughter-in-law's grandmother started years ago. So nothing on the long arm completed this week:( I cant figure out how to add a photo so......

I finished piecing 2 wall hangings for other people ...they will quilt, and I finished a Cathedral window that my Daughter-in-law's grandmother started years ago. So nothing on the long arm completed this week:( I cant figure out how to add a photo so......

Click on the button in the bottom right that says, 'more reply options.'  You'll get a different reply box that will allow you to add photos.  You can even click on that button mid-post, and you won't lose anything.