- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- March 8, 2017

Good morning!
It's Wednesday, and time for our weekly WIP update. Ready, set, show (and tell)!

25 Comments

Photo
QuiltingwithGrace
Mar 08 2017 11:33 AM

I'm SUPPOSED to be getting ready for overnight company and then going out of town myself tomorrow.  Instead I'm playing on MQR. I have NO self-discipline.

So one of the things I was working on while I was waiting for the DVD for the DWR technique (long boring story I'll save for a rainy day) was this art quilt.  I have a friend who LOVES southwest.  Among other things she has an 8 foot 3D carved Indian chief in her living room.  Many years ago she told me, "Don't make me one of the country America quilts."  I'll show her!  

This is just a peak at a portion of the quilt and is my third test piece.  I had to figure out the quilting because part is trapuntoed and part has decorative stitching over the trapunto and I didn't want it smashing the trapunto down.  So now that I have it all figured out and which threads I will use, I'll do a fourth test piece to make sure I still like everything.

The test background lines on the left are 2 stitches apart, the ones on the right are 1 stitch apart.  I wanted horizontal lines, but not "perfect" horizontal lines so I had to practice that.

The construction of the final quilt is a surprise ... and I can't WAIT to finish it and show you!  It is definitely out of the box for me.

Attached File  reveal 01.jpeg   196.79KB   0 downloads

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Mar 08 2017 11:55 AM

Robin, methinks you have fulfilled her requirements.

Photo
sueinscottsdale
Mar 08 2017 12:13 PM

I've been working on this top since November in a class I was taking with Jackie Kunkel, a CI with Quiltworx, as the instructor at one of the LQS. The last class was Friday and I have completed my Glacier Star wallhanging size, but I am continuing on to make this a queen-size. Now I'm cutting out material for the queen border so I can get that started. It will be a while before this gets quilted.

Attached File  Glacier Star wall hanging.JPG   212.83KB   0 downloads

Photo
brunerwoman
Mar 08 2017 12:54 PM

I am playing catch-up.  

..putting the third border on a top

..working on this week's Canadian women blocks

..finished piecing my purple leather quilt

..embroidering the last 2 blocks for my sister's vintage sewing wall hanging

first, had to go to the bank and grocery store. i seem to be spending a lot of time at the grocery store lately. this eating healthier takes a lot more food...and a lot more searching for ingredients that i knew nothing about. haha

The test background lines on the left are 2 stitches apart, the ones on the right are 1 stitch apart.  I wanted horizontal lines, but not "perfect" horizontal lines so I had to practice that.

Don't think I would need to practice that! 😉

The construction of the final quilt is a surprise ... and I can't WAIT to finish it and show you!  It is definitely out of the box for me.

Love the sneak peek I can't wait either. So get busy, please!

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Mar 08 2017 01:20 PM

WOW, Robin and Sue!  Lovely stuff.  The kokopelli (Sp?) figure looks wonderful ....

I have been taking one of Judi Madsen's IQUILT classes on quilting designs to use behind applique.  Just so happened that I got a new veteran's donation quilt that has a large applique ... so I decided to apply the new skills and see what would happen.  I am really, really pleased: 

Attached File  IMG_0095.JPG   167.31KB   0 downloads

Takes a LOT of marking, but once you get going, it goes quickly.

I'm working on this very colorful quilt today. Due in two days. Quilting pattern will be marmalade.
Beautiful projects posted so far.

Attached Files

Wow! You guys always have such impressive projects!! Love them all! I have that Judi Madsen class, too, but haven't tried anything yet. Will need to see how I want to do it on a DSM.

While waiting for some background fabric to arrive, I pulled out an old project from a Caryl Bryer Fallert Gentry class (from before the Gentry was added) and was able to finish piecing the top. I had to unstitch and restitch part of what I did in class, but after that it went amazingly quickly:

Attached File  IMG_2499_1.JPG   947.81KB   2 downloads

Then I went back to my Karen Kay Buckley hand applique class project and started on the borders:

Attached File  IMG_2501_1.JPG   936.75KB   0 downloads

I'm loving both projects so I might start going back and forth between them!

Photo
QuiltingwithGrace
Mar 08 2017 05:21 PM

Wowser, Sue.  That there is some intricate piecing.  Judy Niemeyer?

Cathy, that is spectacular.  I'd say you are learning and applying your lessons quite well!

Nancy, are those pink stips pieced into your border?!

Photo
sueinscottsdale
Mar 08 2017 05:42 PM

Wowser, Sue.  That there is some intricate piecing.  Judy Niemeyer?

Yes, this is Judy's Glacier Star. I am doing the queen-size and just realized I sewed some of the queen borders in the incorrect colors. Now I'm waiting for more papers and hope I have enough fabric to correct what I did. I really have to think about what I'm doing and not follow the directions as written because I changed my colors - wrong thing to do when trying to follow the directions and not realizing it was more complicated than I thought. Oh well, live and learn!

cannot wait for the full reveal Robyn, and that star is stunning Sue.  That's a lot of work!  that is definitely a colorful quilt. 

I photographed 6 quilts (so maybe I'll have something to share soon), and quilted 3 E2E's on Monday--on Tuesday I got 3 quilts trimmed, and the machine portion of the binding attached (and then sent to a friend whose DH is in hospital for her to handstitch) and borders on a quilt (after repairing the piece where the seam was facing up instead of down), all while supervising the quilting group at the church and helping a lady figure out a new to her serger.....today not so much--  dealt with emails, and then went to the friends house to await delivery of a wheelchair and walker for her DH--shovelled her snow while I was waiting....

I"m still  behind on client quilts. Luckily, two of the quilts I had booked for this month, I actually did in March 2016!!! (client was a little confused when I called and said I was ready for her quilts), so I have a fighting chance at catching up now. 

Photo
Mary in the Mountains
Mar 08 2017 07:10 PM

Wow! You guys always have such impressive projects!! Love them all! I have that Judi Madsen class, too, but haven't tried anything yet. Will need to see how I want to do it on a DSM.

While waiting for some background fabric to arrive, I pulled out an old project from a Caryl Bryer Fallert Gentry class (from before the Gentry was added) and was able to finish piecing the top. I had to unstitch and restitch part of what I did in class, but after that it went amazingly quickly:

IMG_2499_1.JPG

I'm loving both projects so I might start going back and forth between them!

Oh. My. Goodness. I LOVE the CBFG piece!! I love her work. I love what you created. You just reminded me...I saved one of her tutorials, so now that will be added to my list of goals. After I finish the first 16. I love your color choices!
I have been working on quilts for charity. Save our boys muscular dystrophy duchends .Attached File  IMG_1644.JPG   152.49KB   0 downloads
Photo
tchamberlain1
Mar 08 2017 09:34 PM

Gorgeous projects so far!!!

My Wednesday WIP started out good but totally went sideways. I finished my daughter's hunters star last week. So today I loaded it and thought I had the perfect quilting design. I even drew it out on the quilt with that see through stuff ( can't think of the name of it because my mind is a sieve). Looked great. Started quilting got to the point where I could see it really wasn't turning out the way I thought it would. Spent the rest of the day picking out Grr! O well tomorrow is another day!

I least I got to see the beautiful quilt s you ladies on making! Thanks for posting!

I posted some simple work on charity quilts in the final product. I got 2 done and took home 5 more. I have one on the frame and started it this morning. I am allowed to do whatever I want on them and I need the practice too. 

Nice work everybody. You have some beautiful projects.

Cathy, I love that verteran's quilt!

Photo
Helen Hubert
Mar 09 2017 06:59 AM
I was trying to work yesterday, but the Severe Wind Warning meant that our hydro started flickering so I had to shut down the quilting. It was also guild day (we sew during the day and have our meetng at night.) I was in charge of the charity quilting bee. My plan for the evening program was to work on sewing eight tops together.

Since I went in early and many of the gals were there sewing, we got started at 2:00 in the afternoon. By the time the meeting started the tops were all finished except for two of them. Aaack!! Now I had no 'Program' for the meeting.

I had to manifest my inner "quilting professional" and discuss options for quilting. I borrowed a flip chart from the church and we discussed/doodled designs that could be used on a few of the charity tops. I think the gals enjoyed the end result,most of them seemed pretty interested in the ideas presented.

Great show everyone!  I always love seeing what you've been doing.  Cathy, you've definitely got your Judy Madsen going!  Robin, that promises to be a fun quilt.  Sue, your top is spectacular!  Sewing Mad - we need a name please.  Cute cat and love your quilt top. Nancy, nice work on the CBFG quilt (nope, not typing that all out) and your KKB promises to be spectacular. Deborah, love all the Kaffe fabrics.  It's more fun to quilt when you're working with bright happy fabrics.

I finished a heavily appliqued Christmas quilt but forgot to take  pictures.  It took me 22 hours, and of course I didn't make any money on it.  I can't seem to make myself charge what it's worth when I'm doing a quilt for a friend.  I have an art quilt challenge coming up in June plus a guild quilt show challenge, also in June, so I'm trying to get inspired (it's not working).  

Nancy, are those pink stips pieced into your border?!

The strips are hand appliqued. They'll be going around on all 4 sides, then there'll multi-colored circles hand appliqued randomly over them. There'll be a narrow fuchsia border between the center block and the border and another outside the border. So there's a bit more left to do. I'll be REALLY good at hand applique stems when I'm done with this one!

Oh. My. Goodness. I LOVE the CBFG piece!! I love her work. I love what you created. You just reminded me...I saved one of her tutorials, so now that will be added to my list of goals. After I finish the first 16. I love your color choices!

Hi Mary - I wish I could take credit for the color choices because I love them, but, alas, the class used a kit where you chose between 3 color alternatives so I can only take credit for making a good choice! Thanks!!

Nice work everyone!  Nothing quilt related to report this week.  I did replace the front wheel hubs on my winter car (Saturn Vue AWD).  Our weather here has been milder than normal, so I decided to get that job done early.  While at dinner with my brother, SIL and niece last night, I found out my other niece just got engaged.  So guess what, another quilt added to the list.  I may even attempt a DWR for these two.  If I do go down that road, I am thinking of using the Go Big cutter method.

Beautiful eye candy folks!!

I did not do much quilt related stuff; due to 1 day prep and 1 day testing at the local hospital and 1 day recoup, results were all negative and I'm good to go for awhile.  I completed my taxes and submitted them...whoohoo!  Spent a couple days reorganizing in the studio, just could not believe all the projects lying in wait!  Did also manage to sew the binding on another donation quilt that needs to be completed by end of March, I think I am good on getting that done.

Lots of beautiful work this week.

I've been working on piecing this for a while and am so glad it's finished. Getting those
centers of the purple stars to match up was a challenge.
The borders are actually the same size all the way around - just coudn"t get them all in my
photo. I made them extra wide to make it queen size.

Peg

Attached Files

Photo
cat-on-a-mac
Mar 10 2017 12:36 AM

that's really beautiful, Peg.  Looks so perfect, it doesn't look real!

I agree with Cathy! That is beautiful!