- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- May 24, 2017

Good morning!
The calendar shows that another Wednesday has arrived. What has been keeping you busy this past week?

I've been plugging away on clients' quilts. I have a huge custom one that has been on the frame for some time now, and I'm still only about half way done with it. I did make it to the greenhouse last week to get the rest of the annuals I wanted for my buckets. Now I'm getting them hardened off so that I can get them planted next week.

Your turn! Quilt-related or not, let's hear about your projects.

28 Comments

I'm about 1/2 way through a custom, on a quilt pattern called Camelot.  This quilter made this quilt 100% hand pieced.  It's amazing.  And fussy cut.  I can use the fussy cutting to do my dot to dot quilting--just find a bit of the fabric I want to hit, and that's my 'dot' because it's in the same place on the other 7 star points!!

And here's my longest/best WIP, my kids.  Oldest had high school grad yesterday.

Attached File  IMG_7750sm.jpg   376.83KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7751sm.jpg   389.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7760sm.jpg   247.08KB   1 downloads

Most of my week was spent shoveling 42.8" of snow:

Attached File  IMG_2619_1.JPG   739.6KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2623_1.JPG   965.17KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2622_1.JPG   807.06KB   0 downloads

When I wasn't shoveling and had electricity, I worked on a new bag that I designed:

Attached File  IMG_2641_1.JPG   939.57KB   0 downloads

It has an infinity handle, based on something that Nancy Zieman had done, so that I can slide my applique roll in the bottom when going to sew day:

Attached File  IMG_2640_1.JPG   955.68KB   0 downloads

This week, I rerouted the plumbing to accommodate the new steam shower unit.  Next up on the list is framing a short wall on the side of the shower unit, since the unit is a few inches narrower than the original tub.  I am hoping to get the wall framed up and the drywall hung on this long weekend.  Then on Tuesday, the cabinets and countertops for the bathroom will be delivered.

Photo
Helen Baczynski
May 24 2017 11:00 AM

It turned cold and rainy this week so I lit the pellet stove and worked a bit more on my niece's quilt. It's now almost done. Today I did a bit of housework, which is very unusual for me. Actually washed the kitchen floor. Since it's now sunny and a bit warmer, I shall be doing some planting later today  and other yard work.

I've just about finished the various elements of my art quilt and next will sew them onto the completed backing piece.  Then it will be adding any extras I think it needs and then quilting.  Running out of time here.....  I also have another small art piece to do that's still in my mind and has to be done by mid-June.  I never learn.....

LQS repair guy told me he could fix my machine - yay $$ saved.  I'm working on this small customer quilt. Needing the quilt fairies to fly by a little bit more today!  

Attached File  mexstar.jpg   119.91KB   0 downloads

Photo
RileyBigshoes
May 24 2017 11:23 AM

I finished a small-ish customer quilt this morning, and will deliver it this afternoon.  I baked some chicken, cut it into portions, bagged it for the freezer.  Two loads of laundry, done but not folded.  

Photo
Ruth Esperanza
May 24 2017 11:32 AM
Im still working on the same project...since march 🙁Attached File  IMG_1053.JPG   158.68KB   0 downloads
Photo
Vicki in MN
May 24 2017 11:52 AM

I have been a binding fool the last couple weeks, table runners for the craft shows. No pix yet. Been so cold, rainy and overcast that I can't get good pix.

Sunshine today, finally!  I planted my garden and was going to mow the yard but my mower is making funny noises and blowing smoke.  I don't know what to do about it, except leave it set.  I was quilting some charity tops and have a few customer tops to get done.

Michelle - I love your son's curly hair.  It looks just like my son's until he started slicking it down with gel - I miss the curls!

Photo
Joy-in-Illinois
May 24 2017 02:20 PM

Nancy, that snow is enough to make me want to put a sweater on!  Cute doggie.  Ruth, I cannot wait to see that quilt finished!  Gorgeous!  Laura, that's going to be a gorgeous quilt.  Michelle, congrats on the grad!

I have a large custom on the frame. This one was finished over a decade ago and the elderly client finally decided to get her quilted!  I'm loving it. It always helps when you have a good plan for quilting. No standing and staring on this one.

Attached Files

that's a fabulous plan you had Joy.  That will be absolutely stunning.

I took a toddler quilt off the frame yesterday (see Diggers, Dump Trucks, and Cement Mixers, Oh My! in Final Product) and reloading my dad's quilt. I will not take it off again until its complete. :::stamping foot::::: I was on a roll and then THIS happened:

Attached File  drew.JPG   118.59KB   0 downloads
 (sorry I cannot get this to post correctly...)

Drew had a 5:15 AM flight...so drop off at the airport was 4:15 am...SIGH.(he was not thrilled about a selfie...but he did it...) Got home , laid back down. Phone rang at 7am...it was Erin saying she had a 2 hour stopover in Phoenix, did I want to meet her for lunch? Back to the airport at noon!

Attached File  erin.JPG   127.42KB   0 downloads

First time I had seen her in her airline uniform. She looked so professional. (Biased I know!)

There was a nap in my afternoon! (I am TOTALLY not complaining! I was worn out...hehehehe)

I also spent an hour straightening up my long arm room. Starting to reorganize my fabrics and UFOs. Trying to make it easier to put my hand on something when I need it, instead of spinning my wheels LOOKING for it...for DAYS.

I hope the airport is close Beth :)  How lovely to get a drop in visit.  I occasionally go to the airport for lunch as well, if friends have layovers.  I'm only about 15 minutes away, so it's easy.

Photo
QuiltingwithGrace
May 24 2017 05:10 PM

Michelle, your kids definitely wear their genes well.  What a great looking family!  Congrats on the first graduation!

Some serious eye candy going on in this post!

Rahak, definitely don't want to be any where near all that snow!

I've been trying recipes, making heart candies, quilting and binding a quilt I forgot to quilt so I could take it to WY, and going crazy with stress.  Just a little over a week to go until all my planning is put to the test.  Then we'll see how this reception turns out.

Busy time of the year for everyone! Our friends are coming for Memorial Day weekend, then we are on vacation next week. It's our 25th anniversary June 4. We are having a staycation, maybe a couple of day trips. Definitely some bike riding but it will have to be early in the morning. It got over 100 here today!

I keep plugging away at Sew Tweet blocks. This is block 5 of 9 plus a massive applique border. Maybe I'll get some quilting done next week too!Attached File  image.jpeg   199.7KB   0 downloads
Photo
cat-on-a-mac
May 24 2017 07:06 PM

You're so right Robin!  Lots of eye candy!  Ruth, your piece is stunning.

Having my sewing group over for brunch on Friday, so I've been doing some house cleaning (UGH!  But, it is one  reason to invite friends over !)

I finished up this month's work on the BOM from The Quilt Show ... and I'm about 10 days early! I'm really happy with it; I had my doubts about the flying geese circles, but they really look neat.

Attached File  Month5done.jpg   193.61KB   0 downloads

Photo
Helen Hubert
May 25 2017 05:54 AM
I spent Wednesday out in the garden planting my veggies for the summer. Good timing, as today it is POURING rain. I'm heading out soon with my longarm friends to visit the quilt shows in St. Jacobs, Ontario. One of my group (Diane Carson) is the featured quilter this year.
Photo
RileyBigshoes
May 25 2017 06:38 AM

Cathy, I really like those FG circles.  

I just love all the eye candy! It motivates me to have something DIFFERENT to show next week! My friend and I have been sewing 'together' on Facebook Messenger video chat. She lives in California and I live in AZ. Its not being there..but the next best thing! we set up our laptops near our sewing stations and chatter away. Having fun together and sewing too. Our husbands are amused, but HEY! They have less words to listen to and its free! lol

Cathy, powering thru those flying geese was WORTH it. Love them!

MichelleM Congrats on the graduate! We are looking forward to our youngest's college graduation next year. Big steps!

Laura, Joy, and Ruth - Wow! can't wait to see the completed quilts!

Terry, I know it looks like it will never be done, but think about how nice that new shower will be! Hang in there! And then there is quilting at the end too!

Wow.  Lots of beautiful work going on here.  Also thinking of Terri plugging away on the renovations.  So much to be done in this house!

I'm still working on my JN Flowers for My Wedding Ring.  I'm stitching the arcs now, which takes me some time, but I use Sharon Schamber's Piec-liqué method, so they come out fairly well.  I'm sure I'll be at this for at least six more months.  Once I finish the piecing, there's a bunch of appliqué to do in the borders.

Attached File  arc backgrounds.jpg   119.78KB   0 downloads

Attached File  arcs and geese.jpg   108.83KB   0 downloads

Just finished this for a customer. It's Cozy Cottages by Arlene Stamper (pattern not available) . Was done as a workshop in the guild with each group doing houses and trading them. Fun class. This is the third one I have quilted.

There are still buttons to be added on the ladybugs and door knobs etc.

Attached Files

I cleaned and organised all the fabrics in my studio.  I also sorted and pressed 8 containers full of scraps.  Here are a couple before and after areas. 

Attached Files

wow, you accomplished a lot Ann. 

We're supposed to be having a sewing weekend at Our Sewing Room, but I'm, thinking of doing some cleaning and organizing of my home sewing spaces instead.  I need things to be more organized.