- - - - -

Vicki Jenkin - Quilter in the Spotlight

This week we are featuring Vicki Jenkin of Horsham, Victoria, in Australia. I知 sure you will enjoy getting to know her a little better; and I know you will enjoy the photographs she has shared with us.

Please be sure to visit the forum and thank Vicki for taking the time to participate in our 的n the Spotlight feature.

MQResource: Can you tell us a little about your family.

I have been married to my wonderful and quilting-tolerant husband, Peter, for 22 years. We have an 18-year old daughter, Shauna, who is doing her final year at secondary school. We have a feline furball called Misty who has us all very well trained to cater to his every whim!

MQR: Where do you call home?

I live in Horsham, Victoria in south eastern Australia.

Attached Image: My Challenge (Medium).jpg

MQR: How long have you been quilting?

I started quilting about 15 years ago. I had dabbled in a few other crafts; but once I found quilting, that was it for me. All the others were pretty much ignored! I did a weekend course then joined the local patchwork group and haven't stopped since. I quilted on my domestic machine for many years before buying my A1 in February, 2010.

MQR: Do you still do much piecing, or are you all about the quilting?

I have never pieced much (I am not that good at it!). I enjoy needle-turn appliqu, but mostly I love to quilt!

Attached Image: Reach for the Stars (Medium).jpg

MQR: Where do you find inspiration for your quilting designs?

MQR and the incredibly talented people here that generously share their ideas and knowledge are my primary source of inspiration. The internet is the most wonderful tool; I can waste an awful lot of time just looking! I also love books and add to my library regularly.

MQR: Do you have a quilting business?

I started a business quilting for others shortly after getting my longarm.

MQR: What is your favorite part of quilting for other people?

I love the variety of quilts that come in and the challenge of coming up with designs to suit each one. I also love the way I get to really see all the wonderful fabrics as I quilt them.

Attached Image: Rose Rhapsody (Medium).jpg

MQR: What is the most challenging part of quilting for you?

Overcoming whatever is going wrong at the time!

MQR: What are your favorite quilting tools?

My Towa, my rulers, and my computer (used for inspiration and research, I don稚 have a robotic system)

Attached Image: Rosemary\'s quilt (Medium).jpg

MQR: What is your current favorite quilting book or pattern?

Judy Martin痴 鉄tellar Quilts. I don't piece much, but her books are sure to inspire and tempt me to piece.

MQR: Can you tell us about a favorite quilting class or workshop you have taken?

Suzanne's Feather Boot Camp was wonderful, and really helped me fine tune my feathers. Now if only I would PRACTICE a bit more!

And Sharon Parkinson痴 Basics and Beyondlots of great stuff.

And the day I spent training with Tracey B. when she delivered my longarm. She covered so much I thought my head would explode, but it mostly stayed with me and gave me a wonderful basis to start from and build on.

Attached Image: Sharon\'s quilt (Medium).jpg

MQR: If you could offer one helpful tip or hint to new machine quilters, what would it be?

Learn to love your seam ripper! LOL. And don't be too hard on yourself!

MQR: What hobbies do you have (beyond quilting)?

Is there anything else? Okwell I do sometimes I watch motor racing (sprint cars and Aussie V8's) and cricket. I do very occasionally knit....must finish my first pair of socks one day.

MQR: What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Rocky Road

Attached Image: The Blue One (Medium).jpg

MQR: Do you prefer salty or sweet snacks?

Not fussy, either will do.

MQR: What is your favorite beverage?

Water! A cold beer is good on a hot day too.

MQR: What is your least favorite food?

Mushrooms

MQR: What is your favorite season of year?

I like them all; variety is good.

MQR: What are your favorite books/authors?

Clive Cussler, Jeffrey Archer, Wilber Smith

Attached Image: VQ raffle quilt (Medium).jpg

MQR: What is your favorite quote?

No inspirational quotes, but I have been known to say "I like a challenge."

MQR: What is one of your goals for 2011?

To continue to establish my business and make it financially viable so I can continue to do what I love every day!

All photographs have been provided by Vicki.

Thanks, Vicki!

29 Comments

Vicki, your quilts and quilting are wonderful, and it's great to learn more about you!
Could you possibly tell me if there is a pattern for the darling "house" quilt in your bio? My granddaughter would love it!
Photo
Sherri G in Kentucky
Jul 21 2011 08:44 AM
Thanks Vicki, for the chance to get to know you better. I too love that house quilt. The others are great too!
Thank you for sharing. Your quilting is fabulous, especially the blue and white feathered star.
Photo
Mary in the Mountains
Jul 21 2011 09:19 AM
Vicki, you are so talented!! I love these quilts, but my favorite is the last one. Do you know the name of the pattern? I would love to make it. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Vicki, thank you for sharing . Your quilts are gorgeous.
Beautiful work Vicki. Thanks for sharing with us.
Vicki, thank you for sharing. Your quilts are awe-inspiring!
Photo
donna in BC
Jul 21 2011 10:03 AM
Thanks for sharing, Vicki! I love your quilts and your quilting.
What's this about not being very good at piecing??? Could have fooled me.
Photo
Donna in NH
Jul 21 2011 10:58 AM
Wow, such an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks for sharing, Vicki. I am awed by your incredible work.
Vicki all your quilts are gorgeous and my favourite is the first picture of the appliqu quilt....WOW!! Thanks for taking the time to share your story and your quilts!
Photo
Vicki in MN
Jul 21 2011 12:31 PM
Love, love, love your quilts, thanks for sharing!
Photo
K. McConachie
Jul 21 2011 01:46 PM
Thanks for sharing - I really enjoyed learning more about you and looking at your beautiful work!

Kelly
Photo
Borderline Quilter
Jul 21 2011 03:02 PM
Hi Vicki....Beautiful quilts...you are a fantastic quilter....you are already an inspration!

Best Wishes
Beautiful quits and quilting Vicki!!

Judy in MO
Photo
Michelle Wyman
Jul 21 2011 05:13 PM
I am in awe!!! I love every one of these quilts! You know I am a big fan of yours... thanks for sharing about your life and family.
So nice to meet you! I have always admired your work when you post it-- wonderful story too!
Thank you all for your lovely comments, I am blessed to be able to do something I love every day....I am sure you will all relate to that.

Margo the house pattern is called Blossom Creek by an Australian designer called Natalie Ross, here's a link to Ballarat Patchwork who stock her patterns...unfortunately patterns and fabric are ALOT more expensive here.
http://ballaratpa.ca...ls/2586265.html
Also a link to Natalie's blog...she has lots of cute things and links to shops that stock her patterns..I did check Shabby Fabrics(US) but they dont seem to have Blossom Creek in stock
http://natalierossin...-miney-moe.html

Mary, the last quilt is the raffle quilt for the Victorian Quilters Guild show which is on next week and was made by Emma Jansen from Ballarat Patchwork, and quilted by me. She will be releasing a pattern later in the year..the first link above will get you to the Ballarat Patchwork site...she has lots of lovely things!
Photo
marrs_cynthia
Jul 21 2011 08:05 PM
Vicki,

Very inspirational quilting. All of them are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your quilting and your bio.
Definitely a pleasure - your quilting is inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
Photo
cat in tassie
Jul 22 2011 12:59 AM
Beautiful quilting, Vicki. Defintely inspiring! Thanks for giving us a sneak peek into your life.
Photo
Christine D
Jul 22 2011 01:34 AM
Hi Vicki,
Love your amazing quilting!
Thanks so much for the info, Vicki! Yes, the patterns are pricey, but Natalie's work is really cute!!
Thanks also for the link to her blog!
Thank you for sharing, your quilting is beautiful.
Vicki, your quilts are stunning. I particularly love the blue and white one. Thanks so much for sharing with us.