- - - - -

Question of the Week -- March 19, 2017

Good morning!
Welcome to the start of a new week!

Although the calendar shows that it will officially be spring in a few days, we're still experiencing single-digit temperatures. The days have been sunny and clear, and I'm enjoying the longer hours of daylight though.

Yesterday was National Quilt Day which brings me to this week's questions for you...

What were some of the special activities scheduled in your area in honor of the day? How did you celebrate the day? A visit to a local quilt shop, did you take a class, visit an exhibit or ???

There is a month-long small quilt exhibit in Anchorage that I hope to visit this week. I did spend most of the day in the studio working on a client's quilt, and I'll be heading up there again after I get this posted. :D

Your turn...please take a moment to stop by the forum and share your answers with us.

12 Comments

Photo
Donna in NH
Mar 19 2017 09:47 AM

Around here we won't see Spring for a while. It's officially Mud Season, although you would never know it with the 2+ feet of snow we got this past week. Every year one of the local quilt guilds hosts a Mud Party. They invite the other guilds in the area for a fun day consisting of soup, sandwiches, deserts, and show & tell. They have quilty door prizes and offer a chance for groups to show off and sell tickets for their latest raffle quilts. Its a fun time to get together with other quilters and see what they've been up to all winter.

I celebrated by spending $. Went to a Quilt/Sew/Craft show in Sacramento (Rusty Barn Show.) Bought a bolt of wide black backing, some gorgeous fabrics and a pair of sandals.  Yup, sandals at a quilt show.  I bought a pair of sandals at Bay Area Footwear.  I got a pair of the Velcro/Back Strap at PIQF five years ago and they are still going strong. I wear them when I stand and quilt.  Not pretty, but comfy!  

We've been having typical Oregon weather.  Wet, foggy, and cold (35 degrees) in the morning, followed by the clouds burning off and 65 degrees in the afternoon.  :)  Except that there have been several days when the sun has failed to make an appearance, and then we only get up to about 45 for the day.  

I went to sew at Our Sewing Room, which is a place I meet weekly with my friends, usually Wednesday-Saturday.  It's an old store in downtown Springfield that has lots of tables and outlets for sewing machines, about five large cutting stations, three ironing boards, an Accucut Studio machine, and all sorts of notions if you need them.  You buy a membership, and go sew with your buddies.  Best idea since sliced bread!  No one was aware it was National Quilting Day until I told them.  ;)  While we were sewing in the front of the shop, there was a class sponsored by the local guild at the back.  Sandy Turner was teaching her method of melding piecing and large print appliqué -- she had some really nice things.  She stopped by to comment on my feathered star, as she had been shocked to see Marsha McCloskey sitting in the front row of her presentation from the night before.  Marsha lives here and is a member of the local guild.

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Mar 19 2017 11:11 AM

I celebrated by spending $. Went to a Quilt/Sew/Craft show in Sacramento (Rusty Barn Show.) Bought a bolt of wide black backing, some gorgeous fabrics and a pair of sandals.  Yup, sandals at a quilt show.  I bought a pair of sandals at Bay Area Footwear.  I got a pair of the Velcro/Back Strap at PIQF five years ago and they are still going strong. I wear them when I stand and quilt.  Not pretty, but comfy!  

I have those sandals and love them.

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Mar 19 2017 11:14 AM

I am a sad, sorry excuse for a quilter as I did not even know it was National Quilt Day.  To my knowledge, my lqs did nothing.

I was on the road yesterday, so I also did nothing quilting related.

The Mud Day thing sounds like fun.

We're having some warm temps, though, so most everyone around here is doing something outside. 

Photo
Vicki in MN
Mar 19 2017 01:06 PM

I hosted the local longarm group meeting at my house yesterday. Only nine attended but it was a good group with lots of chatter. Love having at my house-a good excuse to do some better cleaning, LOL  And I can do more show and tell since I don't have to lug it. And I got to show off my newly cleaned sewing room, hehe.

I spent yesterday at a quilting workshop at our Church.  We had 24 ladies come out to quilt, learn to quilt, and enjoy the community.  I was basically 'teaching'/helping all day, I sat only at lunch.  Didn't even attempt to set up any work.  We had a great day.  It was a total coincidence that it was Quilting Day on the calendar.

As for spring we've had everything from snow to cold to rain to 15C this week.....typical spring weather.  Lawns should start to green up in another few weeks, leaves in mid-late May. 

Photo
brunerwoman
Mar 19 2017 02:17 PM

I didn't do any quilting....but i started 2 new quilts, so did a lot of piecing.  and some hand sewing to finish my March BOM

Our local longarm group had it's Spring meeting on Saturday.  Bethanne Nemish was our teacher for this meeting and she had a great trunk show.  To celebrate, I spent $115 on thread at Superior's 15% off sale (through midnight Salt Lake time - you need a wholesale account).   I use a lot of Omni so that's where my splurge went.

We finally had some wintery type days here in the south. Very low temps several nights and that wiped out the peach crop. Most folk do not know that SC grows more peaches than Georgia, about 3 times more is what I heard on the local news this week. 

I did not realize it was National Quilt day. I did finish a customer quilt this week and have started the Spring dress sewing for the little grands. 

We had beautiful weather over the weekend, so I did a little work outside but did get a few charity tops sewed together, and a little bit of quilting on a customer's quilt.  

Not a darn thing around here, nor did I do anything special on my own, either.  I didn't even blog about it, sadly.  I'm in a rut...need some warmth & sunshine badly!   :Cry:  :Cry: