- - - - -

WIP Wednesday Post -- April 26, 2017

Good morning!
It's Wednesday, and time for our weekly WIP update. Ready, set, show (and tell)!

22 Comments

I have been stressing this past month about quilting the Manitoba Prairie Quilters next raffle quilt for their 2018 quilt show. They are the largest quilt guild in our province.  They made a beautiful New York Beauty quilt and asked me to quilt it.  I quilted their last raffle quilt in 2016 so it was nice to be asked again.   Since it is a fundraiser they have a budget to stick too and first asked for very simple quilting but left it up to me to make the final decisions.  I knew it would need a lot of stitch in the ditch but that went faster than anticipated so I was able to add feathers to the background for added interest.  One way to save time/money was to use one thread colour and I picked a beige Invisafil 100wt. Worked great on all the batik fabrics.  So glad it is done and hope they are happy with the final result!

Attached Files

• Attached File  mpq.jpg   187.24KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  mpq4.jpg   231.21KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  mpq3.jpg   240.36KB   0 downloads

Gorgeous Kathy, but I think it deserves its own topic in finished forum.

Beautiful quilt Kathy and your quilting is perfect for it.  I agree, it should be in the finished forum so it doesn't get lost here.   I finished a Christmas sampler, but unfortunately forgot to take pictures.  Client was happy.  I gave myself the month of May to work on and finish a couple of art quilt challenges.  I've been doing the piecing, and the applique will come after that.  Hope my vision comes together as I see it in my head.  Always an adventure.

Photo
RileyBigshoes
Apr 26 2017 11:16 AM

Beautiful quilt Kathy and your quilting is perfect for it.  I agree, it should be in the finished forum so it doesn't get lost here.   I finished a Christmas sampler, but unfortunately forgot to take pictures.  Client was happy.  I gave myself the month of May to work on and finish a couple of art quilt challenges.  I've been doing the piecing, and the applique will come after that.  Hope my vision comes together as I see it in my head.  Always an adventure.

Can't wait to see them, Jean.  Always a pleasure.

Photo
sueinscottsdale
Apr 26 2017 12:09 PM

I finally finished the piecing of my queen size Judy Niemeyer Glacier Star quilt. Now I have to think about the quilting.

Attached File  IMG_2187 (1).jpg   211.9KB   0 downloads

Photo
Helen Baczynski
Apr 26 2017 12:13 PM

I'm now quilting my niece's double wedding ring quilt. iQ tells me the project time for the lighter colored border pattern (not including the wedge shapes) that I've just finished was almost 3 hours. The actual stitching time was 1.5 hours. Project time includes all my marking of the blocks (the space where the pattern will go), and the adjusting of the pattern to fit. I also slipped upstairs for a few minutes for part of that time. I stitched slowly so those little circles would be circles. 

Attached File  ella 01.JPG   251.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  ella 02.JPG   252.37KB   0 downloads

Helen - GORGEOUS!!!  Sue, can't wait to see what you do on that quilt. Lots of time must have put in for the piecing. Oh my.  

Beautiful quilts. Kathy I'm sure you'll sell lots of tickets. Sue youve got to share it again when its quilted. Helen I love the borders!
I just finished this with Magnifico lime green. Very, very bright quilt.
Attached File  IMG_843.jpg   309.72KB   0 downloads

Wow I cannot believe the eye candy here today! Kathy, that raffle quilt is to die for...what a gorgeous quilt, oh my! Sue - the precision and beauty of that glacial star is unmatched...I can't wait to see what you do with it - your quilting always kicks things up a notch and I can't imagine how lovely it will be when you are through with it. Helen - that DWR is going to be so chic and contemporary. Can't wait to see it in the finished forum

I finished a table runner this week but have yet to take pictures of it. Working on yet ANOTHER baby quilt...I've had a lot of those to do this year.

I tried to be brave this week and used a high contrast thread on a donation top. This top was one of 3 that was mixed in with some fabrics donated to me. What's a girl to do? Well I made a backing from some "meh" Christmas fabric in my stash, put together some batting scraps and loaded her up. I figured this was as good a time as any to shrug my shoulders and say "Whatever happens, happens", took a deep breath and quilted some red on white. Practice practice practice!!

Barb K. in Buffalo

Attached Files

Photo
Helen Hubert
Apr 26 2017 01:33 PM

Wow, gorgeous eye candy here today!

Today I'm quilting this batik log cabin.  The photo is 1/4 of the quilt.  I removed two blocks and reinserted because they were turned.  See my blog post if you want a bit more story.  Also on my to-do list is oiling the IQ motor which is being sluggish.  Why, after all these years, do I break out in a cold sweat whenever I have to work on 'the machine'?

Attached File  P1030440.JPG   430.22KB   0 downloads

Wow!  You're all rockin' it today.  I'm still working on my Judy Niemeyer Flowers for My Wedding Ring, and probably will be till 2019!  ;)  The Sewing Room is closed today, so I can't take pictures of the five million flying geese I'm making for one of the outer borders right now.  I really wish they were open.  We're having street deconstruction here, and the concrete saw is killing my ears.  They cut a gas line yesterday and the gas smell was horrendous.  They were not at all concerned, but Ozzie and I got the heck out of Dodge anyway.  Today the sawing just stopped and now there's a plumbing truck out there.  I wonder what they've sawed through now?   :Hypnotized:   :o   :rolleyes:

Wow Beautiful Quilts there today!
Here is my daughter's Hunters Star I just finished labeled and ready for her to take home this weekend.

Attached Files

Photo
Vicki in MN
Apr 26 2017 01:59 PM

Fabulous quilts this week, wowzers!!  My project is pitifully simply but today a friend came to iron my bin of strings-LOL she didn't even make a dent in it, but look at all she pressed and hung on my drying rack.  I cut some 5", 3" and 2.5" squares with some of it to begin the day with, but, by noon I was itchin' to do some stitchin' and started in on these blocks sewing them onto phonebook pages at 7.5" square.  I have made a quilt like this for myself and she has mentioned many times how much she likes that quilt. Soooo I am going to surprise her with the one I started today!

Attached File  DSCN0666.JPG   86.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSCN0665.JPG   70KB   0 downloads

Sorry it won't let me load this on the same post!

Attached Files

Oh I just LOVE WIP Wednesdays...I just want to jump in and quilt. And I AM quilting again. I cannot stand there for hours on end, but I am working a couple hours day. Chipping away at the Blue Carpenters star. I tried curved cross hatching for the first time. I need a bit of practice, but it is surprisingly forgiving. I know my dad will love it and not see a bobble.

Attached Files

Photo
brunerwoman
Apr 26 2017 04:31 PM

It can't be wednesday already. i've been piddling with this and that. 

i have a friend that is moving to texas soon and is having a garage sale. i went over there yesterday, and came home with about 7 trash bags of scraps!!!   this morning i sorted a few bags into the colors. today i went back over there.....and brought home 100s of quilting magazines and a shopping bag full of patterns. hahahahahaha     the mags will probably mostly wind up at the thrift store and the patterns might never get done in my lifetime, but she didn't want to haul all that stuff to texas, so i was just being a friend and helping her out. i filled the truck for the second time. got a cabinet, some tools and metal stuff for my son, dh got some fishing stuff. i think i cleaned her out of everything i wanted. hahahaha

i hate to see her go. she had to give up her horse a couple years ago, her husband got cancer and was gone in just a few months. while they spent so much time at the hospital, her dog ran away. so, she is all alone out there in the woods. she is moving to texas to be by a daughter. but moving out of the country and into a city subdivision. she says she hopes she survives it. i told her she could always move back. 

I am working on a nicely pieced quilt by a friend that is for the kids camp. I got one done this week but I am behind. 

Those are all beautiful projects!

What FUN to see what everyone is working on!  Delightfully delicious & SEW inspiring!

I'm giving a huge round of applause for each & every one of you!   :Applause:   :Applause:   :Applause:

I often need to take a break from quilting, as my hip hurts if I stand too long.

So I spent several hours sitting yesterday doing this in-the-hoop mug rug.

It had 25 thread color changes...sheesh!  It seemed to take F_O_R_E_V_E_R!!

Attached File  sewing machine mug rug.JPG   251.34KB   0 downloads

Oh Rett that is so cute.  Would you mind telling me where you got the design.

Jackie, it is from Applique Corner & is on sale right now for only $2.00!

Sorry I didn't give that info in my original post.

Here is a link:    https://www.applique...rug-design.html

Jackie, it is from Applique Corner & is on sale right now for only $2.00!

Sorry I didn't give that info in my original post.

Here is a link:    https://www.applique...rug-design.html

Thank you Rett :)

Everything is wonderful! I am always behind the times...I need to make mug rugs!